Software
WMP
5 min read
Peter1
Topic Starter
Win 7x64 with WMP 12(I think) built in:
I was looking for a way to fix my Windows Media Player because it is corrupted.
Could I remove it by removing the following folder?
%ProgramFiles(x86)%
Is there a better/easier way? How do I reinstall it?
Thank you
toyotomi
Why would you want to try and delete the entire program files directory? Not trying to be a jerk… but what would make you want to delete that folder instead of the Windows Media Player folder?Win 7x64 with WMP 12(I think) built in:
I was looking for a way to fix my Windows Media Player because it is corrupted.
Could I remove it by removing the following folder?
%ProgramFiles(x86)%
Is there a better/easier way? How do I reinstall it?
Thank you
Anyway, try downloading the latest media player from MS HERE. Install it over the current installation and see how that works for you.
I'm not sure about being completely uninstalled, but you can disable WMP easily enough. go to Start>Control Panel, under Programs click Uninstall a program, on the left should be a little shield with "Turn Windows features on or off". Click that and expand (by clicking the little plus sign) "Media Features" and un-check Windows Media Player. Not sure there would be any benefit to disabling it before reinstalling.
Lee
Peter,
If you have a serious issue with Windows Media Player and want to repair it quickly, you can reinstall the program to fix it.
How To Reinstall Windows Media Player In Windows 7
Cheers,
Lee
If you have a serious issue with Windows Media Player and want to repair it quickly, you can reinstall the program to fix it.
How To Reinstall Windows Media Player In Windows 7
Cheers,
Lee
Peter1
Hello
Thank you for the link. I was about to do that after finding out WMP 12 is part of Win 7 and remembered a site I kept in Favs just in case.
It is called Microsoft Fix it troubleshooting solution center.
It shows icons for alot of the M.S. products like Office Explorer, WMP etc.
I clicked on WMP and it identified the WMP as corrupted and preceeded to reset it so it is fine now.
It is a valuable site with these tools.
Peter
paws
Hi Peter, Its was good to hear that you got the WMP issue fixed..well done….
Just for the record….as toyotomi has indicated it would be most unwise to delete your
%ProgramFiles
folder(s)
if you did that then you would be glad you had the foresight to create an Acronis disc image…… as you might have to use it to get your machine working again….!
Regards
paws
Peter1
Paws
When it was reported that WMP was corrupted, I did all the searches for a fix. This was at the end of an article which said after all's tried and failed. delete that folder. I am glad I did not. I dont know why you should not but glad anyway.
I tried to prioritize a list of fixes and always refer to information I gather from folks like yourself.
So you too can take credit
The list of fixes was a mile long. I wonder if Win 7 x 64 is unique and requires a different repair method for WMP?.
Oh well, moot point now. There is always something to keep one eye open at night.
Lee
Peter1,
Never try to uninstall or delete anything that is part of your operating system and WMP is part of it.
Yes you can reinstall it (really a repair install) as in the link I provided, but uninstall first? No, never anything that is part of your OS regardless of what you read on googled sites.
I'm glad the WMP issue is now fixed.
Cheers,
Lee 
Peter1
Hi Lee
I am glad you reminded me not to remove part of the OS.
I think I read that Win 7 incorporates WMP build 12 or something to that effect.
Those other articles may have been referring to earlier versions.
How can you tell if a program is part of the OS? If I know this I can avoid the error or deleting it.
I hope the answer is not too embarrassing.
Thank you
Peter
Lee
Hi again Peter,
All files that belong to your OS will be hidden unless you have enabled "show hidden Windows files" in Folder Options and that is never a good idea !
All Services that belong to your OS will be under "Services" (Start / right-click "My Computer" / left-click "manage" / Left-click on Services and applications / left-click on Services (I'm rebuilding my main PC so I don''t have W7 on this one, so I think that is how you do it in W7 if my memory is correct).
All Features (programs such as WMP etc.) can be found in "Turn Window's features on and off" (just type it in to the search box in the Start menu). These features can be disabled or left on. It's not a bad idea to turn off the features you don't use. They can always be turned on again if you need them.
Never try to uninstall any of the above if you wish to avoid possible disaster
Cheers,
Lee
All files that belong to your OS will be hidden unless you have enabled "show hidden Windows files" in Folder Options and that is never a good idea !
All Services that belong to your OS will be under "Services" (Start / right-click "My Computer" / left-click "manage" / Left-click on Services and applications / left-click on Services (I'm rebuilding my main PC so I don''t have W7 on this one, so I think that is how you do it in W7 if my memory is correct).
All Features (programs such as WMP etc.) can be found in "Turn Window's features on and off" (just type it in to the search box in the Start menu). These features can be disabled or left on. It's not a bad idea to turn off the features you don't use. They can always be turned on again if you need them.
Never try to uninstall any of the above if you wish to avoid possible disaster
Cheers,
Lee
terry1966
This was at the end of an article which said after all's tried and failed. delete that folder. I am glad I did not. I dont know why you should not but glad anyway.
the simple reason why you shouldn't delete the %ProgramFiles(x86)% folder is because that's where ALL your programs are stored, so you would of deleted everything and nothing would of worked.
Peter1
Thanx for the help and it really was of help.
I have some information for anyone reading about Flip cameras.
I had 2 pcs develope corrupted WMP's b/c the company kept telling me my machine was compatible. I dug and found that Flip only supports WMP 9+10 and being that win7 has WMP12 built in, that was the trouble. I think I will be ok with Real Player, VLC or Quicktime as they all support MP4 files.
Does it sound right that WMP 9 +10 support MP4 files while Win 7 WMP 12 does not, or do I have that wrong. Flip says WMP 9,10 + 11 are ok. I had to tell them Win 7 WMP12 is not.
Talk soon
Peter1
Hhello
Now that I know to avoid WMP12 with my Flip camera, how do I get autoplay to choose Quicktime to play the dvd?
I have used default programs and selected Quicktime but it still does not appear in autoplay. Is that b/c it is not Windows?
How can I make a program otherthan WMP play the dvd?
Thank you
Lee
Make Quicktime your default player and turn off WMP in "Turn Window's features on and off".
Cheers,
Lee
Peter1
Ahh! Turn it off. I forgot. Thank you, Lee.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI