This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Floders (again)

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi A problem has suddenly developed on my computer. When I switch on all goes OK with no probs but if I double click on a folder on my desktop everything disappears just leaving the wall paper then it all comes back and I have to right click on the folder and then click open. If I click on the start button and click on control panel exactly the same thing happens. I have to right click on control panel and click on open then click on folders and click on restore defaults and apply then I can open all the folders OK, but as soon as I reboot the computer It reverts back to the problem. Has anyone had the same problem and cured it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi, It is likely that you have some corrupted system files and the first thing to do is to run the Microsoft System File Checker Tool to check that all Windows protected system files are present and correct. To do this, in Windows XP Go to Start/Run and type in: sfc /scannow and hit the Enter/Return key (note the space between the c and the forward slash is essential.) Be sure to have your Windows operating system disc ready as you may be asked for it. Regards paws P.S. if the problem is on a machine other than one running Windows XP post back with details.
Thanks for the quick response. Done as you suggested but still the same, if I right click on the folder and say open then it will open it and after that all the folders will open with the normal double click, but as soon as I reboot then it starts again. I have gone into safe mode and done a virus check and various other ad aware checks but found nothing, the strange thing is I do not get the problem in safe mode.
Hi, The fact that you are not getting the problem in safe mode indicates that it's one of your drivers that may be causing the problem (Only a minimal set of drivers is loaded in safe mode) Have a look in "Device Manager" and see if you have any exclamation marks (Yellow or Red) and if you have try to either update the drivers or roll back. The next step would be to do a "System Restore" to a point where you know your system was working OK. If this doesn't help then it might be necessary to do a repair install of Windows Xp (sometimes called a non destructive install as it should leave your files more or less intact), but before you do this, back up all important stuff and anything on your desktop. Hope this helps Regards paws
Checked in device manager no problems I think I will do a complete windows reinstall when I get time. Once again thanks for your help
Hi Yes I understand, Don't forget to back everything up first (you can use the Windows file and settings wizard to help on this Good luck Regards paws
Just a update, I have Panda antivirus installed and talking to a couple of my friends today who also have Panda installed they said they had both been having some issues with it. Anyway I turned Panda off and hey presto everything works just fine, switch Panda on and I get the problem return, the bummer is I have just updated Panda to the 2007 Titanium version about 2 weeks ago and that coincides to when I started having problems with the folders. I think I will be looking for a new antivirus, pity I wasted £27 on Panda. Anyone know anything about THE SHIELD PRO 2006 antivirus?
Just another update I took Panda Titanium 2007 antivirus off my computer and installed The Shield Pro 2006 and every thing is working fine. One thing I like about the shield is it has a completely separate firewall so if you do not need it you don't get those annoying warnings all the time. Once again thanks for your help
Hi I'm really pleased that everything is now Ok. Also thanks for posting back with your solution. I will keep this bit of info in my "Useful facts" box as its sure to come in handy some time, Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI