This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Wall Paper On Desktop

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:ph34r: I have had adware problems the last week or so, most notibly today and yesterday. I have an issue on here regarding that, I've managed to get some normality, I'm not trying to jump ahead or anything. this problem is with start up/wallpaper. I know when I start up, my Wallpaper is there, prior to the icons loading. Then it goes black, then white. Then I get boxes come up, 1 with Windows Installer trying to connect, another with PC Connectivity, and one more with Nokia PC sync, which has never done that previously. I have recently made all files visable, and the desk top went from white to , almost like an open window behind, of what is part of an open folder, that while having my desktop icons visible, also had some folder Icons that I could click on. The open folder is c:\Documents and settings\home\ application data\Internet Explorer It's really strange and difficult to explain. I feel like putting a hammer to this computer and leaving the internet for good. Always problems. I would appreciate some advice or any ways to see what programs/files are starting up when my computer does. Any suggestions?
You say you've had "adware problems" recently. Is it possible that you've utilized some of the Self-Help Tutorials and tools to rid yourself of the malware. Is it further possible that you might have Run SmitFraudFix? If none of the above applies, we'll do a bit more searching. This is fixable. :)
Hi there, cheers for the reply, I have tried self help, just running the scans properly and rebooting. I eventually got most of the bad stuff off, I didn't use SmitFraudFix but I think I did notice it in one of the scans. Or maybe just smitFraud. I just tried reinstalling windows xp to maybe get whatever is missing (if) repaired. No joy. It's not a big issue, but it is very annoying. I've tried looking through folders and changing settings, to no avail. Although when I set view all hidden files, the white background on desktop became an open folder, but the bottom half, so I can't attempt to close it. Very strange. I think it was because of one of the things that got put on my pc, because I had a 'wallpaper' suddenly appear yesterday, that was pretty much one big link to a web site for anti spyware. That's gone. But things aren't right here I don't think. I still get the strange behaviour from win installer, pc connectivity. I'm not really sure what to do now, I've run out of ideas.
More than past time to post a HJT Log over into Malware Removal Forum for assistance from an Malware Removal Expert. Let us know if you have problems finding your way over there. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI