This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

what to uncheck from the startup programs?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I just got a Win XP Os Pentium 4 3ghz cpu computer with 1gb ram and a 250gb HD. It was installed after purchasing it online. My question refers to an article I can't recall now. However, it listed the services that could be safely unchecked in the msconfig startup tab. My computer came with all 30 items checked. I know the few programs like the AV, certain malware background scanners are necessary. What I would like to know is how many of the others can be unchecked and possibly what theie abbreviations mean, although, the latter is not as important as which ones can be shut off, if possible. Thanks for any advice or links that discuss this; I think I saw an article 1-2 years ago about this subject in PC World? or Pc Magazine but many people who are not novice, as I am, know off the top of their head!!! Thank yo very much for any help. Sincerely, Miles

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI