This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Vista Startup

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey there everyone, if your from America (which I'm not) happy thanksgivings day! :thumbup:

Anyway down to business, In this list that I am about to give you is my list of startup programs, Would someone please tell me which ones I can disable without any risk of anything bad happening. I want to disable as much as possible.

[external image: Posted Image]

Thanks!
Hi Gary,

You have a HJT log posted yesterday yet unanswered in the HJT forum so until a Malware fighter replies to your log, we are unable here to assist you as your settings maybe changed by us with the help offered on this forum.

Please be patient as the HJT forum is very busy at this time. If you have not had a reply in 5 days, please post a gentle reminder here

Please feel free to post back here when your system is cleared.

Best regards,

Hi Gary,

You have a HJT log posted yesterday yet unanswered in the HJT forum so until a Malware fighter replies to your log, we are unable here to assist you as your settings maybe changed by us with the help offered on this forum.

Please be patient as the HJT forum is very busy at this time. If you have not had a reply in 5 days, please post a gentle reminder here

Please feel free to post back here when your system is cleared.

Best regards,

I don't see how using HJT can effect the start-up programs, unless a program is a virus or malware and runs in start-up, this is a bsic procedure and I am just wondering which start-up programs I shouldn't disable and which ones I can disable.
Hello Gary, I am sorry they are the rules of this forum so I am not in the position to assist you at this time. Please post back when your Computer has been cleared by a Malware fighter. Best regards,
Hi Gary,

So pleased LDTate has cleared your system.

Please go to
  • Start
  • Run
  • Type 'msconfig' (without the quotes)
  • OK
  • Startup tab
Please send me a screenshot of your startup.

Here is a link that is of great use by inserting each Startup item in the search area shown and follow the codes given to make your own decision as to whether you will keep it or disable/untick it.

Please keep me posted as there is further work to do when you have accomplished the above.

Kind regards,
My apologies Gary,

Must have been to early for me to scroll up there! :thumbup:

Your Startup should look something like this, and your Services also should be slim….

Here is a link that will help you slim down your Processes running although you have not yet mentioned them. If you
  • Hold down Control/Alt/Delete
  • That will bring up your Task Manager
  • Process tab
Let me know how many are running as that can have a huge affect on the running of your system.

This is a fine little program called Quick Access to relate to you what all the processes are. Download and install it, then bring up Taskmanager and click the little blue circle next to the process running for a true explanation of it. This all takes time, patience and research, but there is no quick way of refining your system of Services and Processes running.

Keep me posted how you are going or if you need any more help.

Best regards,
Gary,

I found this Tutorial developed by Oscar Sodani owner at Help2Go which maybe of further help to you..

Thank you Osc for allowing me to post this link to assist.

Best regards,
Hi Tallin Thank you for your links, I have had a look at all of them and downloaded and installed Quick Access. It's a nice program. I have 22 processes running in total. At my startup, which is my first post in this topic, what start-up programs must I NOT touch whatsoever?
Hi Gary,

You are a bit naughty here, :smack: you need to google each service to find out what it is, then decide for yourself.

Re your processes, that is excellent only having 22 running……better than me!

I suggest you go

  • Start
  • Run
  • type 'services,msc' without the quote
  • Extend the box in the right hand lower corner
  • Click on Startup type which will put them in
  • Automatic
  • Disable
  • Manual order
Then go to this link and follow it.

Another way is to

  • Start
  • Run
  • Type 'msconfig' without the quotes
  • When the box appears click Services tab at the top
  • enable/put a tick in "Hide all Microsoft Services" let it reload, takes a second
  • Click the "Status tab"
  • Now you are down or should be to bare bones
  • You only need your Antivirus, firewall, backup Automatic Updates etc
I have already given you an attachment in Post #8 here in this thread showing you what your startup should look like.

I will leave this with you to do some serious homework, make some decisions for yourself and post back if you have any other questions please.

Best regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI