This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

msconfig question

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Well I was looking to see what I could disable and saw that a few of my startup items don't have a name. I can't image that not having a name can be good. How do I tell what these are? Jeremy
For current or future reference, here's the "other best" resouce:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
I thinks it is also currently hosted here: http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

But if you want a quick and easy look and recommendations, here's how I can help, since obviously, I can"t see your MSCONFIG StartUp panel, and I don't think either of us has permission to use HJT to generate the Add/Remove or Running Processes listing.

So go over to PCPitstop.com. Click on Full Tests. Register. Run the Full Test. Post the TechExpress link back into this thread so I can take a look at it. I'll be better informed to make recommendations with that information.

Best Regards
Doug
Remove checkmark in MSCONFIG for all of these:

Norton SpeedDisk Symantec Corporation C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
Office XP speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
NVIDIA driver helper NVIDIA Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
SoundMax features Analog Devices, Inc. C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
Debugger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
Easy Access Buttons Hewlett-Packard C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe
MSN Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
MSN Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
Yahoo! Messenger Yahoo! Inc. C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe



You can use any of them manually as needed.
Don't worry about ctfmon.exe (Office XP speech) it can't be "disabled" without ripping out a bunch of other stuff, so it will keep showing in your StartUp list, but is no problem.

consider disabling this Symantec item:

Live Update Symantec Corporation C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe



this one is the actual updater, whereas the one listed above is only to help schedule updates.
You can disable this one too, but only if you are disciplined and regular in checking for updates frequently.

Norton Internet Security Symantec Corporation C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe



I'm not a fan of Windows One Care / Windows Defender.
I did like Microsoft AntiSpyware beta and used it on some machines but only as a manual scan tool, since it took so much of the machine resources when it ran active. I actually took it off from more machines than I installed it on. Still it was a good utility when it was more like the original Giant AntiSpyware tool which is where it came from through a purchase by Microsoft.

The Windows Defender is a good tool, but has caused problems for alot of users. It's getting better.
I'd keep it but possibly leave is disabled in StartUp and only use it manually.

Run your CleanUp - I presume that program is the CleanUp! 4.0 or 4.50 from http://www.stevengould.org ?

Adjust your IE Cache size to 80mb
In IE - Tools - internet Options - Settings (button) type 80 instead of your current 2385 MB (way too much stuff to be dragging around all the time.)

Adjust your Receive Cache Size per instructions here: http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/IntSpeed.asp

Are either of the following your actual NIC, internet connection utility?
1394 Net Adapter [problem code 22]
Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC [problem code 22]
both are currently disabled.
If you have a third NIC utility, then leave the two above disabled.
If not, reinstall the Drivers for the one you want to use.

What's with all the FONTS – 2689 Fonts??? Most people think they have alot and maybe too much when they have only 150 Fonts. Be careful about removing FONTS because some are Tru-Type and required and others are required by various of the Operating System utilities.
I'd reduce the number, by uninstalling some of them, if it were me. But I'd be very careful which ones remained.

Now re-Boot your machine into SAFE Mode.
Run Scan Disk
Run Disk Defragmenter
(in that order)

Reboot into Normal Mode and Run another Pit Test and Post your TechExpress.

Then we'll look at your Video functionality.

Best Regards
Some of those items I could not find on the start up tab.

Norton SpeedDisk Symantec Corporation C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
NVIDIA driver helper NVIDIA Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
SoundMax features Analog Devices, Inc. C:\Program Files\AnalogDevices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
Debugger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
MSN Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
MSN Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
Yahoo! Messenger Yahoo! Inc. C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe

Those are the ones I couldn't find. I used windows defender to disable some of them and then diabled windows defender, but couldn't find the rest. Any ideas

Adjusted the IE Cache, but the test still says I need too. What's with that?? I don't know if this helps, but this computer connects to the internet through a wireless network that me and my friend have between two houses. The network is at his house and we spit the cost of the intenet. Most of the time my singal is jumping between low and good. We have a t1 line but don't get the fall spend of it unless I'm upstairs at my house and I'm always down stairs.

I don't use thought network cards, so I disable them, so I don't get pop up "a network cable is unplug" and all that crazy stuff.

Man you have no idea how hard it was to get rid of all the fonts. Windows wouldn't let me delete any of them, so I used Norton Wipe Info and delete all but like 8 of them, and then I copied my fonts from my other computer, (just the ones that come with the windows) and restalled them on this one. It was really hard to read stuff with just those fonts. I think I got it thought. Not all the fonts needed are here, but it's alright Man windows starts up alot faster without all of fonts.

Disk Defragmentation didn't want to run at first, kept hanging on 12 percent. Finely worked after a few tries. and Scan Disk reported not errors.

Here is the TechExpress link for most current results:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=4T8VPWZ4ZJJSNL1

Jeremy
Jeremy,

Please repost your TechExpress Link. The one you posted is not correct.

[external image: Posted Image]
[external image: Posted Image]

These Items appear in your Windows StarUps via the Pit Test, therefore they ARE in your MSCONFIG StartUp (tab)

Norton SpeedDisk Symantec Corporation C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
NVIDIA driver helper NVIDIA Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
SoundMax features Analog Devices, Inc. C:\Program Files\AnalogDevices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
Debugger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
MSN Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
MSN Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
Yahoo! Messenger Yahoo! Inc. C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe


Let's wait to see the new Pit Test to see what seems to still be there.

Glad that removing all those FONTS helped. Thought it would.

Best Regards
Hi Jeremy, Yep, all them extra/non-essential items that I previously listed are definitely still starting at Boot. I am not familiar with using Windows Defender to disable StartUp items. However, it appears that to be free of the listed items, you will do better to use: Start - Run (type)MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab) and remove checkmarks Best Regards
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:44:06 PM, on 8/29/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5450.0004)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Sonic\RecordNow!\RecordNow.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul…rch/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul…//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54729
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul…rch/search.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=552…cid={SUB_CLCID}
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul…//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul…//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.hp.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Norton SystemWorks] "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\cfgwiz.exe" /GUID {05858CFD-5CC4-4ceb-AAAF-CF00BF39736A} /MODE CfgWiz
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.hp.com
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: HP WMI Interface (hpqwmi) - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\SHARED\HPQWMI.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~2.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Jeremy

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI