This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

startup managers

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I have ccleaner and it has this feature above. When I see the startup programs should i disable all except McAfee? I know disabiling some programs at startp will save ram and be quicker bit I don't understand how you are supposed to now what to disable or not. Does this program know which you can disable and that is why it displays the ones I see? Thank you -naivete
Hi grampy.. No, the program does not know which ones you can disable. However, it is just as easy to re-enable the item if it does cause adverse side effects. A general rule of thumb is that almost everything loading at startup in that list can be disabled without any side effects. The only things you might want to keep loading are programs that monitor hotkeys on your computer, or programs that monitor your printer so that you can use "scan to" features, etc. However, again, almost everything can be disabled without side effects.
Probably the best start up manager about is WinPatrol, very simple very lightweight program and very highly regarded, it shows you what processes are running what has been listed in the start up programs, you can remove or disable these programs, if you want to test use disable, then you can enable it again if you wished, it also allows you to move programs over to a delayed start up list, and you can even set the time in multiples of 10 seconds, so if slow starting is an issue, but you don't want to have to load a program manually then this is the perfect compromise, because you can step the start up of each program.
The main things you want starting are protection, also if you use a finger print log in device then that needs to load as well, but apart from that as said above, anything else can be started manually without issue, the only benefit to having them in the start up is faster loading thats all.
HI all If you disable a start up program with one of the start up managers would 'msconfig' show 'normal' or selective start up? I ask because I disabled the HP tray icon with a manager and the actual entry disappeared. Then,when I looked into 'msconfig' ,which I want as normal, both my machines showed selective startup. I will take a look at WinPatrol and see what I can learn. Also, I guess it goes without saying that you never disable your antivirus program. There are other entries that I think might prevent the machine from working so I'm sticking with normal a very few disabled entries. Thank you P.S. Please don't forget my original question among my ramblings. :wavey:
TBH I have never noticed what msconfig shows after doing anything, and it is suggested that people should not use that method of controlling start up items, and thats not from me (wish I knew enough to make such a statement lol), thats from Black Viper himself, he has pretty much written the bible for tweaker's as to what to allow or not, so if your feeling adventurous, have a look at his tweaking guide for your OS and you may find that helps as well as this does.

I do use msconfig, BUT, I only use it to select the No GUI boot option under the boot ini tab, the rest I manage via his tweaking guide and WinPatrol, the biggest tip when disabling things is slow and steady, it will feel like your taking forever to get anywhere, but if you want to be sure that whatever you have done does not affect you, then you are best using this way, so just change the 1 item, then ruin a few days normally as you would, if all is well then repeat with the next and so on, this way if something plays up you know exactly what it was that did this, so I guess the short answer is that using a 3rd party interface to alter the start up probably would show up as a selective start up in msconfig, so I wouldn't worry about that, I hope I didn't miss the query ? lol.
Hi again Msconfig , I think, is where you deselect one entry at a time, slowly, to see what may be causing a problem. There other reasons as you mention but I'll stop here with msconfig. This all started when I noticed a Hewlet packard printer icon in my system tray. I wrote about using msconfig>selective startup to remove it and was properly advised that that is not the way to disable pesty starup icons. I then returned my pcs to 'Normal" as I had both in selective starup with 5 or 6 entries disabled. I had Googled ones not needed at startup. Now being in Normal, I still had the H.P. icon to get rid of. I was told of different ways to do this. One was Startup CPL, a little program that goes into your control panel -very light. Another was ccleaner which has a startup manager. I do not have any items disabled in starup now because I am confused about which to do if any. The H.P. icon is gone probably because I disabled it with ccleaner than removed ccleaner; the icon was useless thank goodness. Also, I notice, if you look at startup items under selective startup, there are about 15. If you use a third party startup manager there are about 5 or 6 and all necessary , i.e., Mcafee. I edited because I tied disabling a startup item with CPL then checking the system configuration utility and the item was not there BUT it was still "normal". When I reenabled the item with CPL the item reappeared in the system configuration utiliy and it remained in normal. Good news so far. Now I'm off to see if I can disable some safely. Regards

Hi grampy..

No, the program does not know which ones you can disable.

However, it is just as easy to re-enable the item if it does cause adverse side effects.

A general rule of thumb is that almost everything loading at startup in that list can be disabled without any side effects.

The only things you might want to keep loading are programs that monitor hotkeys on your computer, or programs that monitor your printer so that you can use "scan to" features, etc. However, again, almost everything can be disabled without side effects.


>>May I ask which of the following I cannot uncheck in my touchpad laptop -I do not know how to use the keyboard alone and depend upon the pad to navigate?
HKLM/RUN:
1-Adobe Reader
2-ATI Mode Chan…(Atizmdxx.exe
3-ATIPTA
4-BCMSMMSG
5-DadApp
6-Device Discover..(Hewlett Packard digital imaging)
7-HP component
8-HP software update
9-MCAfee backup
10-mcagent_exe
11-QuickTime task
12- Sun Java Update
13-SynTPEnh
14-SynTPLpr

Thanx a lot for the help

Hi grampy..

No, the program does not know which ones you can disable.

However, it is just as easy to re-enable the item if it does cause adverse side effects.

A general rule of thumb is that almost everything loading at startup in that list can be disabled without any side effects.

The only things you might want to keep loading are programs that monitor hotkeys on your computer, or programs that monitor your printer so that you can use "scan to" features, etc. However, again, almost everything can be disabled without side effects.



>>I hope I am ot pushing the envelope -I don't trust the Google comments -this is my desktop. Could you please tell me the ones I cannot disable?
1-Windows defender
2-WrtMon.exe….system 32\ spool\drivers\w 32x86
I am trying to send the rest as an attachment of a screen print If it is a problem please let me know so I can type each.
OK I will try and cover everything, but if I miss one let me know, got so much going on right now it's manic.

To start with msconfig is not advisable for this, once removed it can't be put back, at least not easily (or some important reason anyway), think I got that right, but Black Viper warns against using that method so thats good enough for me, the Startup CPL you mention, I used that a lot in the early days, very good tool, but can be very confusing as well, because IIRC it has 6 sections or so, and knowing what section to put things in was hit and miss, it also could not control items that refuse to stay removed, but WinPatrol is far simpler, and more effective as it can disable pesky items which refuse to stay down, it also protects your hosts file and probably more I'm blissfully unaware of lol, I just know it works, and it's VERY good at what it does with minimal effort.

HP is very invasive with it's tools, it loves loading numerous things at start up, and TBH none of them are needed, it will just add to it's loading time, the only thing some may favour is the update checks, but if you remember to check manually once a month your doing as much as that does anyway, and updates are far and few between really.
The first place to look for HP items is in HP settings\options themselves, it's just a case of go through every option you can find and look for anything to do with start up\load with windows, if you find these options thats the best way to deal with that, otherwise just use WinPatrol to control whats left, start by simply removing the entry's, if they come back then disable them.

Now your list, from what you said here is my opinion on each for you, obviously the choice is yours depending on your needs:-
1-Adobe Reader; Not needed, just make loading Adobe documents faster and the like.
2-ATI Mode Chan…(Atizmdxx.exe; again not needed unless you need specific use of your graphics options\controls.
3-ATIPTA; Same as 2.
4-BCMSMMSG; This is part of your modem, so if you use that leave this alone.
5-DadApp; Essential from Dell for programmable keys leave this alone.
6-Device Discover..(Hewlett Packard digital imaging); TBH not sure, my gut says disable it, but if you find yourself unable to scan or the like then you will need to enable it again.
7-HP component; Typical unneeded HP stuff, remove.
8-HP software update; As I said above you can remove this and check manually, or leave if you feel you wont remember.
9-MCAfee backup, This is some kind of back up program, if you use this to back up then leave it alone, if you don't then remove, but it can still be run manually if needed.
10-mcagent_exe; Appears to be part of your protection from McAfee, if so leave it alone.
11-QuickTime task; Not needed remove, and to stop it reloading again go to C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask, then right click on it and select Rename, place the cursor on the right hand end of the text and simply add the following .old Including the . (dot), that will stop it from reloading until it next updates, then repeat this again to continue blocking.
12- Sun Java Update; Remove but remember to manually check for Java updates say once a month, or it can be left if you want it to auto check for you.
13-SynTPEnh; Leave.
14-SynTPLpr; Leave, both these are part of the touch pad, and removing them may remove options you require to use the touch pad etc the way you want.

1-Windows defender; Disable it and if your running xp uninstall it, I do not rate it at all, nor do many Hijack Pro's that I have seen either, in vista it can't be uninstalled, you just have to disable it in the services list, but it can be removed in xp, there are many options far better than this.
2-WrtMon.exe….system 32\ spool\drivers\w 32x86; Remove, it is a part of scanner software to do with Canon from what I can see.

Think that got it all, holla if I missed anything lol.
Hello 82 I really appreciate all the effort. I have saved your information. I need to look at WinPatrol to see about it or CPL then I will make the selections you gave me. I can see it was good not to jump in and start disabling on my own. Btw, I am not touching msconfig and startup is "normal". I don't know why Windows Defender was there as I removed that a while ago but if I find it I'll remove it -no problem. Thank you again and I'll let you know how this works out. My machine will be happy when these are disabled.
Hi, sorry I missed the text file, while in reply mode attachments like that don't show, and I was so busy on the rest I missed that was there lol. Anyway here goes, ditch the following, I'll use brief names that should be blatantly obvious, if not feel free to ask:- Anything Adobe. Anything Cannon. Anything HP for the most part, the rest I explained above. NvDaemon and nwiz (these are to do with Nvidia. Opware. QT. SSB. Sun. Obviously there are more sections to that tool where more stuff will probably be listed, and there is more out of sight in that screenshot, but this will get you started.
Hi Grampy…

I do tend to agree for the most part with 8210GUY's suggestions.

However, if we are going to do this, lets do it thoroughly.

It would be much more productive if you would perform a couple of procedures for me. First, lets get a general overview of your system and see where we can tweak it up to run better for you. To do so, run a PCPitStop test. Here's how:

How to run PCPitStop's Overdrive tests:
  • Please click here to go to the PCPitStop Overdrive sign-up page: Signup at PCPitStop (You need to use Internet Explorer with this test so that an ActiveX control can be installed.)
  • Click "Create a free account"
  • Enter in your relevant information on the sign-up page. You must sign-up in order to have your results recorded so that we can take a look at them here.
  • After signing up you'll see the "Registration Complete" page, and you can click "Test Your System Now" to return to the test page.
  • Login with your newly created e-mail address and password on the left hand side.
  • Follow the directions to "Scan this system now." An activeX control will need to be installed. It is safe, and you should allow it to be installed.
  • Once the tests have been run, you will see an "Almost there" page requesting further information about your computer and your experience with PCPitStop, just scroll down to the bottom and click "GO."
  • A test results page will display, and I need the link to that page.
  • Look in the address bar of your browser. It will look like 'http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/…' Please copy and paste that here to the forum.

    Note: PCPitStop may recommend that you use certain utilities to fix problems on your computer. At WhatTheTech, the help we provide is free. We do not endorse or recommend the use of any products PCPitStop may suggest. Instead, we prefer to help you with each issue manually without using possible pay to use programs.

Now, I prefer to use CodeStuff Starter to manage startups here on the forum because it has a convenient export feature to show me everything that is running. Here's how to get that information to me:

How to use CodeStuff Starter to view services and startup items:

  • Please download and install CodeStuff Starter
  • Run Starter by finding it on your start menu after it is installed.
  • When the program opens, you will see three tabs on the main screen (Startup, Processes, Services)
  • Please click the Startup tab and make sure that All Sections is selected on the left hand side under the sections view pane.
  • Once the Startup tab and all sections is selected, please click the File menu and choose Save as HTML.
  • Please save the file to your desktop and call it startup.html.
  • Now, please click the Services tab.
  • Once the Services tab is open, please click the File menu and choose Save as HTML.
  • Please save the file to your desktop and call it services.html.
  • Now that both files have been saved to your desktop, close CodeStuff Starter.
  • Locate the startup.html and services.html files on your desktop. Both files can be attached to the forum, as is. Please do so in your next reply.

If you provide this information to me, please first turn your system back on to "normal" mode with everything running so I can see all the details and nothing will be hidden.

Hi, sorry I missed the text file, while in reply mode attachments like that don't show, and I was so busy on the rest I missed that was there lol.

Anyway here goes, ditch the following, I'll use brief names that should be blatantly obvious, if not feel free to ask:-
Anything Adobe.
Anything Cannon.
Anything HP for the most part, the rest I explained above.
NvDaemon and nwiz (these are to do with Nvidia.
Opware.
QT.
SSB.
Sun.

Obviously there are more sections to that tool where more stuff will probably be listed, and there is more out of sight in that screenshot, but this will get you started.

>>Gun guy - Post number 9 gave me great instructions for the lap top. You have done a ton of work so please take some time off.
I amso grateful for what you did .
I got your p.m. and assume the laptop is ok in post #9 but you were referring to the "reverse" in the post re: the desktop. I hope things settle down on your end. Thank you very much

NP, in your pm you asked me to say briefly what to keep, but in my reply I realised I had told you what to get rid of, hence being the reverse of what you had asked, as to the laptop, if it is running how you hoped then yes all is well, but I will probably have to die before I get time to rest lol, they will be making me radioactive in a few weeks so no rest for the foreseeable, glad your making progress anyway.
To answer your PM Grampy, you need to click FastReply or AddReply at the bottom or top of the thread. Now, have you gotten that information ready yet? To answer your other question, I'm not able to provide an informed decision without seeing the real "condition" of your computer. I'm sorry.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI