This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Starter

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Starter

manage your startup programs and services

Starter is yet another startup manager, that allows you to view and manage all the programs that are starting automatically whenever Windows boots, also manage your "services" - enable or disable them. It lists all the hidden registry entries, as well as the common Startup Folder items as well. You can choose to safely disable selected entries, edit them or delete them altogether (if you know what you re doing). Expert users can even add their own entries. Nice interface, easy to use, no documentation though (but
hardly needed).


<<==+==>><<==+==>><<==+==>><<==+==>>


Here's another nice program…..StartUpLite

StartUpLite is a lightweight program that can disable or remove all known unnecessary startup entries from your computer and thus quicken the startup procedure of your system.


Good Luck, MrC
Well, I have stuck with my theory on msconfig now for going on 6 years. Because mainly, it makes more sense (to me) to use a Windows application to control another Windows application…and vice-versa. For instance when Windows tells you that it has found a better driver (or throws up a caution window that your about to install an unsigned driver) for… lets say an HP printer…Now, Microsoft does NOT manufacture Hewlett Packard printers so why on earth would I want to install a Windows driver for a Hewlett Packard printer. I am quite sure that HP knows quite well how to build drivers for their own equipment, would you not agree?

That being said, I have a friend of mine (computer guru of computer guru's) that has been on me to try this "Startup Manager". I have more less just blown it off because 99% of the startup managers I have seen work the same way msconfig does (a lot of them actually USE msconfig to disable startups). Well, he finally cornered me and made me install the dang thing. Since then, I have been going over it with a fine toothed comb and the words "I told you so" right on the tip of my tounge. Fittingly, with my luck, those words are still there and about the only thing I have to complain about are the fonts the code is wrote in (figuratively speaking). This startup manager should actually be called a startup editor. It does NOT put itself in startup, it does NOT have a service running, its a very small application, its highly configurable (pertaining to the startup process), you can connect to a remote machine and best of all, its freeware. Now, dont get me wrong, msconfig is still your best bet for controlling startup applications (outside, of course, from controlling them through the applications themselves) But this really is a good a little app…Its not the easiest to find however so I will host it for download until I run out of bandwidth. The name of the application is simply StartUp_Manager.rar. That link should start the download.