This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

help with microsoft office/work

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

hello, I have office 97 on my computer and am having some strange things with word happening. Now I can only save a document with one letter–i.e. if I want to call it "report". it only saves as "r". Also, when I am closing documents it says things like "word could not fire event" and "the basic environment could not be initialized, please run set up to install it correctly". I tried removing the whole office to reinstall it but when I try that, it says something like "the setup configuration file…is missing or corrupted, please run set up again from where you originally ran it"

Please advise and thanks in advance!
I'm not familiar with this condition, so I googled the error messages as you typed them.'

Here's what Microsoft has to say:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212669/EN-US/

It is also possible that you have been infected by a virus/trojan:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data….marker.en.html

Since this Malware has been around for quite some time, it is likely that most well-known anti-virus and anti-trojans will identify and remove it.

Again, please note that I am not familiar with the malware that may be linked to your problem.

You should update and Run your onboard Anti-virus.

Then you should Run a few online scans.

http://www.housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan
www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

allow each of these to carry through their routine to remove any malware identified.
Please "save the log" of what each tool finds and removes, so you'll be able to report that information back here into this topic.

You may want to jump right over to the HJT Forum to post for more expert help with malware removal.

After you are assured that your machine is malware free, if you still have the problem and need assistance with the Microsoft suggestions, please post back here at that time.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI