I'm having a problem with Word and Excel. I am a tech person at a business and one user is having problems with Microsoft Word freezing up when trying to open saved documents. They can open Word to a blank document, type info, and save it. The problem occurs when trying to open documents on the network or the hard drive. The document will open and is viewable, but freezes immediately and goes to "not responding." This only occurs for this one user. If I log on as myself or as the administrator Word works fine. These same things happen in Excel as well.
I have tried removing the original normal.dot file, editing he registry, using system restore, deleting temporary files, checking Words startup folder, running detect and repair, starting Word without templates and add-ins loaded (winword.exe /a) completely removing Office and reinstalling, and booting in safe mode. None of these options have worked and I am out of ideas.
Anyone have anything else to try? :rant2:
could the actual account/user be corrupt? if it's only one person, i'd guess that their computer is at fault? If you're using a server, this shouldnt happen unless the computer recieving the information hasn't been set up correctly.
good luck
Have you tried clicking on the file/document itself..without having office/word open…? Also, is everything updated the same on the box in question as any others on the network or vice versa?
(if the files saved on the "server" and word/office is accessing it from there, is the folder shared and with the correct permissions?)
To answer bizarrebob - I thnk that is has to be a corrupt file or something in that users specific profile and its folders because it doesn't happen when I or anyone else signs on to that PC to use Word. Microsoft Office is installed directly onto that machine. I'm just not sure where else to look for this corrupt file(s) or what may have caused it. Things were working fine just the other day.
To answer Crow - I have tried opening just the file itself from the folder (both network and hard drive) and Word will open the file and it is able to be viewed, but freezes up immediately. I know the file/folder it is stored in on the network has the correct permissions because she just opened it the other day and its set for all users across the network to have access to this specific folder and its contents.
Ok, so you said Office is installed directly onto that machine.. is the same build/version of Office installed on the server or is it even installed at the server at all..? Also.. you might try checking its (the file itself) properties, while logged on to her account. Someone may have accidentally changed the "run as" or the compatibility mode…?
Office isn't installed on the server at all. As far as that file's properties go, it happens with any file that she tries to open in Word or Excel. It's not just one specific file.
Well.. that doesnt make any sense.. If you have completly uninstalled it and re-installed it.. and she cant even open a file from her hdd..? Sounds fishy to me.. maybe someone else may have an idea…im out of them.
Well I solved the problem by completely deleting her user profile from the computer. When she logged in and her new profile was created Word and Excel worked.
Hard to tell what caused the problem, but at least I have a solution! Thanks for all your help.