Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Norton AntiVirus Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lauren_*

Guest_Lauren_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:20 AM

Hi I have a problem. I dont think it's too serious, but its quite annoying. Anyway, my Norton AntiVirus keeps giving me a message on start-up telling me my definitions are not up to date. So I run a Live-Update, and it says there is nothing else to download, and that they are up to date...? Any help would be apreciated, thanks, Lauren

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:05 AM

Hello Lauren, Your in the right forum to post your question. Unfortunately, however, I am not familiar with Norton. If I remember correctly there should be an icon in the system tray (were the clock is), right click and see if it gives you an "options" or "preferences" choice. If not, double click on that same icon to open the application up and see if you cant find in there some where were it asks you if you want to install the updated rules. Most of us here at Tom Coyotes are not big fans of Symantec or McAfee either one. Maybe someone watching who is familiar with symantec products may see this and post. But in the mean time I will do some searching and see if I cant come up with something for you.

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 Guest_Lauren_*

Guest_Lauren_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:11 AM

OK, thanks. I have looked under options but don't really know what to disable... Can't see anything that seems relevant. I also have another computer... kind of... problem. I have purchased The Sims 2, The Sims 2 University and The Sims 2 NightLife, but I cant play them. I have Clone CD on the computer. I am aware that CloneCD has conflicts with other programs, but can't uninstall it because it isnt my program, it's my brother's, and he's the one paying for it. Is there a way to play the game and have CloneCD??

#4 Surreal2

Surreal2

basic

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:46 AM

Hi Lauren What happens if you open Norton and update manually? Does it find and download new definitions or does it still say it's already up to date? What version of NAV are you using and what is your OS? When you open NAV it tells you the date of the latest definitions it has installed. You can also see the total number of definitions - make a note of that number then check again in a few days (there won't necessarily be updates every day) and see if the number has increased. If the date is current and the number of defs is increasing, at least you'll know you're protected and it's just a matter of trying to isolate the cause of the 'reminder' message problem. As far as your Sims problem is concerned, you have my very real sympathy. This is the unacceptable consequence of new generation protection measures designed to prevent illegal copying of software. I recently had exactly the same problem with a game purchased for my daughter. It installed fine but would not run. I bought it legally. I don't have CloneCD or any similar software. Game company helpline said it might be my Nero software - another totally legal product - because of it's 'Copy CD' function. Helpline suggested I remove Nero. Why should I? I don't condone illegal copying or piracy in any form. But if a person buys a game legally and does not even want to exert their rights under copyright law to make a personal backup copy but only wants to play the game using the original disks and is prevented from doing so by the protection measures, that's simply unjust. I can't give you specific help - it's against the forum rules. Even the following might be deleted by forum staff. But suffice to say that after days spent trying to get my daughter's game to run I found a way to make it work. You may or may not want to Google your problem, playing around with your search terms and, like me, you'll no doubt find game forums that can assist you. Cheers....