I was having issues with Norton 2005 and not being able to run my live update so I decided to to update to Norton 360, well it tries to install it and when it gets as far as the live update in the install process it says install failed and sends me to the Symantec site with an error code Error: "The installation encountered an error and is unable to continue" (LUCheck.exe). Can someone help me out here? I am so frustrated right now and I do not like not having any virus protection on my computer. I have tried the Symantec live chat but so far no resolution. HELP!!
Norotn products have benn giving users headaches for quite some time when they try to do a "complete" uninstall" of their products. Thankfully, they have developed a "Removal Tool" which most often simplifies the task and greatly assists in getting your system system totally cleansed of this product. Their removal Tools can be found here and are product specific:
I would recommend that you uninstall Norton 360, run the 2005 removal tool, double check in Add/Remove programs that all their products have been uninstalled and then try to reinstall Norton 360.
There have have also been reported problems trying to install Norton 360 and other Symantec products for users using Vista. That would be another question all together. Please try my first suggestion and we will then see what we can do.
I've done the removal tool again like you said and I am still having the same problem. I have XP btw. I am starting to think there maybe a corrupted file with the Live Update that will not remove. Not sure if I have a Trojan hiding somewhere or not. The reason I say this is because a few weeks ago my live update stopped working on my Norton 2005 at the time I thought maybe I just needed to upgrade, but now that I am unable to install 360 I am thinking maybe something else is going on. The Symantec people had me do the tool and then when that didn't work I talked to them again and they had me go into My Computer to remove stuff and not all of it would delete, then they had me go into my registry and delete stuff and that still didn' t work. I am not sure what to do at this point. I had issues with my computer with a Trojan about 2 yrs ago and your site helped so much, which is why I am coming here again.
It most likely is not malware related. Just to be sure, please post a HijackThis log (Instructions below) in the Malware Forum and provide a link to this thread as reference. I will close this topic.
Double-click on dss.exe to run it, and follow the prompts.
When the scan is complete, a text file will open - Main.txt
Copy (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of Main.txt in your thread in the HijackThis Log Help Forum.
An additional text file, Extra.txt,will also be available (by default) in the following FOLDER, C:\Deckard\System Scanner.
Please go to that FOLDER and also copy the contents of Extra.txt to your post as well.
Note:some firewalls may warn that sigcheck.exe is trying to access the internet - please ensure that you allow sigcheck.exe permission to do so.
What DSS will do:
Create a new System Restore point in Windows XP and Vista.
Clean your Temporary Files, Downloaded Program Files, and Internet Cache Files, and also empty the Recycle Bin on all drives.
Check some important areas of your system and produce a report for your analyst to review. DSS automatically runs HijackThis for you, but it will also install and place a shortcut to HijackThis on your desktop if you do not already have it installed.
Post Logs:
DSS Scan Results: contents of 1) Main.txt and 2) Extra.txt
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI