This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot delete this file, I've tried

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was messing around with some C++ and I made a .txt and added "// my first program in C++ #include using namespace std; int main () { cout << "Hello World!"; return 0; }" then turned it into an .exe and ran it (I've learned my lesson) anyway, it doesnt seem to want to die. I've tried a program called killbox, I've gone into safemode, I've even tried "del "D:\…\test.exe" /f /q" in a batch file. whenever I try to delete it windows comes up with the error telling me "Cannot delete test: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." Does anyone have any Idea of how to remove this?
I've tried that, i closed everyone non-essential process (when I was in safe mode only windows associated processes were running, at least I think so, here is a list of my current processes: Running processes: D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe D:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe D:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe D:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe D:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe D:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE D:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe D:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe X:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe X:\Program Files\teamspeak2_RC2\TeamSpeak.exe D:\Documents and Settings\Max.DESKTOP\Desktop\New Folder (3)\HijackThis.exe
Hi there,

Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open. Close all open programs. Click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe. Leave Task Manager open. Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory the AVI (or other undeletable file) is located in. At the command prompt type DEL where is the file you wish to delete. Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell. Close Task Manager.




If that fails, view the following page and follow the instructions carefully:

http://www3.telus.net/public/ericbr00/priv…stupidfile.html

If all else fails use DelinFile.exe. Read the instructions on the tool's homepage carefully before using it.

http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm

let us know if that helps.

Big Smiles

HS

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI