This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

File/Icon Deleting Problem

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

I have this pesky file that I have been trying to delete for quite some time now. I think I noticed it over this past summer. I have tried to delete it numerous times, but have failed. I never paid much attention to it, since the file says its size is 0 bytes. I am getting annoyed now, because I would like to delete it since it is on my desktop as well.

I have Windows XP Home Edition, and am not familiar with computers that well. The file's name is: CAAV2RYH. and the location is at, C:\Documents and Settings\Johnathon Bui\Desktop When I try to delete the file, it says, "Cannot Delete File: Cannot Read From the Source File or Disk".

I have tried to right-click delete it, drag it to my recycle bin, and also looked for it through the Windows File Search and tried to delete it. The same message keeps appearing.

I use Spybot Seach and Destroy, Ad-Aware, and Norton Antivirus Weekly. The file has not been a problem (at least I don't think), but I would like to get rid of it because I feel like it is harming my computer in some way by not being able to delete, and the desktop icon looks awfully suspicious.

Thank You for your help and time,
Johnathon
Orion, Hi, I really don't know how to delete in safe mode. Could you possibly tell me how I should do that? I am pretty new with computers. Thanks for any help you offer. ~Johnathon
Hi ,

when the computer boots, keep tapping the F8 key until u get the screen with options, choose safe mode, try deleting.

check out this link if u dont get me…
http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php

You could also try the Moveonboot if it doest delete in safe mode.
Orion, Hello Again, I tried everything you suggested, but no help. The Moveonboot looked like it worked. I dragged the file into the window, and it said the file was locked, or did not exist, and said it would work on deleting the file on the next boot. I did this about five times, and the file is still on my desktop. If you have any other suggestions I am open to about anything right now. This file is really annoying me, big time. Thanks again. ~Johnathon
Orion, Thank You very much. You have been a great help with this situation. The last solution worked wonderfully, and to my surprise quickly. You Rock! Thanks again. ~Johnathon

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI