This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

WIN98SE intermittently hangs up on loading

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I HAVE been (gratefully even) following your instructions. But when the program that I make my living with (the aforementioned music notation program Finale) no longer works I had to experiment to bring it back to life. Re-enabling that system tray seemed to have done it. I've disabled it again (and now Finale is still working ….. so why is a mystery - at least to me - but whatever…) I was still waiting for clarifications on adding the ScanRegistry item to finish following your instructions what about the printer though? without load Win.ini WPSHRC.EXE I have no printer
Ok, I apollogize for not explaining. MSCONFIG is a utility used for system configuration and troubleshooting. The "Startup" section of this allows you to choose which applications start with Windows. Therefore having NOT to wait for the executable to load..calls its mod's..etc..etc (laziness coupled with impaitience.. go figure). That being said, enabling and disabling applications from starting with windows is simply that. It does not delete, uninstall, prohibit or keep them from being run or used. Simply, it does not load them WITH Windows. Your program, for instance, that you use to make your living. It takes some resources to run that. Also takes some storage I would assume as .wav's and .wma's can and do become quite large. Having that application load with Windows would be something I would tend NOT to do. Basically your talking about the difference in time it takes to click on the applications .exe and start it up. That is the ONLY issue with using msconfig to control your startup applications. In other words, theres no need to have all this stuff running if your not using it. Your BIOS (Basic Input and Output System) controls how your system boots and loads your physical devices. Once you see your desktop, then things like video drivers.. sound drivers.. codex's… etc.. are all ready to go. Just because you may have a device that has software with it, say nVidia for example, doesnt mean that you have to launch that piece of software for that device to work. .. make sense? woops.. check me on that one… I didnt catch the word "notation". I was going to recommend Windows XP to you, and still do however notation is notation.. GUI's dont help much there I dont guess.. A diminished 7th can only look so good..lol
I understand I am now only loading at startup what you suggested (including ScanRegistry which I succeeded at adding) plus, however, the printer (which needs to be loaded at startup) and the mouse (whose functions I want enabled), plus the AVG AntiVirus program all seems to be working fine as for Finale - I didn't mean to (and I don't) load it at start up, I just start that application whenever I use it as for what started all this - hanging up occasionally at startup – after a few tries it seems that what might be causing it is a MIDI USB powered keyboard. When I leave it turned on, as Windows shuts down, and then, the keyboard still being on, when I restart the computer that's when it seem to hang up …….. does that make sense?
ah… yes I understand . however it shouldnt hang up like that. Have you considered upgrading to XP..? its world of difference compared to….well… anything other OS in my opinion. Its alot more media prone …so to speak. Has it ever done this before..hang up like that? and is the keyboard recognized..? (go to control panel, click on system and under the device tab will show your device managment..is there anything with a "!", "?" or a "X" beside it?)
Ok the more I think about that, the more it makes sense. (i apollogize..been awhile since I have been on a Windows 98 machine) Windows 98 had a "fast shut down" tweak, as Windows wouldnt want to close out untill applications had finished what they were doing. So.. when you would boot up, it would have an unfinished session that was in the shut down process prior to being shut down and it would want to run scandisk… being that scan disk was not starting with windows however, it couldnt boot properly AND check for errors. Thats another I might mention to you, if when you boot, it says it needs check for errors.. you need to let it. I know having to wait for it is a hassel but it does it for a reason. Plus its good idea to run scandisk every so often anyway
yes, the keyboard is recognized under sound, video + game controllers (that is, after I turn it on - when I turn it off it goes away again, as it should, I suppose) I guess the thing to remember is to just turn it off before shutdown, so that it is "finished" and yes, I am totally aware that I am working with not only an old and slow PC (PentiumIII, 500mhz) but also with an equally outdated OS - I'm just trying to make this one work as well as it can, until I can get a new PC and WinXP …… thanks for your help in any case - I haven't been much of a tech forum user in the past, so its very uplifting to know that help CAN actually be had …….
Well fortunately you picked one of the best forums to get help in. There are other forums (I like to call them our sister forums) that carry a reputation just as good as this one. In fact, you will see alot of the same helpers/teachers/admins ..etc..etc at these forums as well. These include and are not limited to:

1. SWI (spyware information..Mike Healan owner..good d00d)
2. Geeks to Go.com (Our partner here at TC's)
3. Subratam.org
4. CastleCops.com (Been around for good while, trustworthy help and info there for sure)
5. Atribune.org
6. Merijn.org (Writter of Hijack this)
7. Wilders.org

Just to name a few (im sure forgot to mention someone and I apollogize.. i).

Unlike alot of forums, here you will find helpers that are dedicated and passionate about what we do. You will NOT find abusiveness (flamming, as its more commonly known) and very very rarely will you ever find conflicting advice.

So..in the future…. if you have any questions.. well be here for ya.
geesh.. leave it to me to leave them out.. yes dslreports just helped me through a big mess I have had with my ISP and the "package" they sold me …and for some reason decided not to give it to me.. Again…lol.. I apollogize for leaving anyone else out.. surely did NOT mean to leave dslreports out.

geesh.. leave it to me to leave them out.. yes dslreports just helped me through a big mess I have had with my ISP and the "package" they sold me …and for some reason decided not to give it to me..

Again…lol.. I apollogize for leaving anyone else out.. surely did NOT mean to leave dslreports out.

Not a problem….we're here too :thumbup:

Hi Mike! :wavey: I'm sure our excellent members here at Tom Coyote's will get you fixed up :D

~waves~ to Siggyx as well :weee:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI