Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91734 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Clean Install Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ereshkigal

Ereshkigal

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 01:38 AM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple][B]
:( Need some help suggestions. Friend was having trouble doing a win98 upgrade on a compaq presaro. I suggested doing a format c & clean install of win98se. Told him to do what I have done several times without major problems.
Put in boot disk and get the A:\>
Had him type in "format C:" (without quotations of course)
All went well with that, C was formatted and ready to go.
He put in win98se bootdisk and his original win98se Disk, restarted computer.
It came up with the startup screen, Load windows with cd rom support,
Load windows without cd rom support, etc.
He choose, Load windows with cd rom support. Ok, great right?

Screen said it was restarting computer, then returned to A prompt. Why didn't windows start?

Ok, so advised he try a few things. He ran cdinstal (with a ide cd drivers diskette), he ran setup file. Even ran fdisk, just for the heck of it. Still same reaction when trying to Load with cd rom support. The windows wizard is just not taking off.

One time he even got 'error reading in drive A'. (what does that mean?)
Setup also told him there was a long file name it could not fix, is that causing the problem? If so, how do I fix that?

Right now the system boots to A:\>, [/U]IF[U] a bootdiskette is in the drive, if not it asks for a system disk and hit any key.
It reads a B drive but when doing a dir it cannot find it and asks for a disk. There is no B drive on the system as far as we know.
It reads a C drive with a minimal ammount of files, normal I believe since we formatted it.
It reads no D drive.
Drive E is the disk.

Tried to do A:\>E:\>setup.exe, it just takes him through the setup process and scandisk again. Does not start the windows wizard.

Am getting the pc into my hands so I can see what is going on, but would like suggestions since I've had him try almost everything I would do without having to go into the bios and see what the heck is going on. Any suggestions? :scratch:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ereshkigal

Ereshkigal

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 11:49 PM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue][B]
:P wish I knew how to remove something from this board. I got the pc in my hands this morning and after a little searching on compaq's site to make sure i had the correct drivers for the cd rom, I had no trouble getting it up and loading windows. it was just a matter of the cd rom not having drivers so non operatable. thank you to anyone who did take an interest in this problem and were wracking their brians for a solution. like i said, i've found and that one step made everything go extremely smoothly like it should have.
thanks again. :)

#3 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 01 January 2004 - 11:01 AM

MSCDEX.EXE... sorry.. just now seen it

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"