I downloaded an iso file and tried to install it. now all desktop icons when double clicked present the message in the error box " file not found" ( hit ok ) and then eror box " no admin rights ". The same thing happens when I go to start-all programs-(whatever program). When I was looking thru the files in the windows directory (start-my computor-local disk-windows) that I now have all of these executable programs. (all 596kb in size and at least 300 of them of them installed under the windows directory. I am on another computor hoping someone can help. System restore is not an option as the same message comes up.
adding some more info: windows loads fine and internet explorer works. The program isobuster professional shows up in task manager several times almost as if it is trying to open whichever program I select. system idle process in task manager using 99% of cpu.
hi jamiemacintyre,
not familiar with isobuster, but every iso (disk image) i ever downloaded had to burned to cd first to be of any use. there are some tools to mount isos as a virtual drive. maybe this is what isobuster does? have never used it.
Hi shelf life and thank you for responding. I downloaded an iso image via shareaza, burnt the image to disc and then tried to install it. That's why I think isobuster is trying to open whatever program I hit. After that it was straight downhill. The funny thing is I can still use the internet, internet explorer, and I know all my files are there, I just can't access them. Windows directory and my downloads were just loaded with some 300 exe files(cracks and various other items all the same size). Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. I've got several computors and its not life or death if I have to reload Windows, it's just a pain and there's always something you remember after you've wiped the hard drive.
Jamie
Windows directory and my downloads were just loaded with some 300 exe files(cracks and various other items all the same size)
this was from the iso file you burned? you knew what you were downloading? half the cracks on p2p are nothing but trojans, you probably have a boatload of nasties on your computer. i would seriously consider wiping the hd.
I realize that there is a lot of nasties out there. This was a bittorrent which really took me by surprise. I'm going to mess with it for a while yet and see if I can't figure it out. If anyone else reading this has any suggestions or ideas ( crazy or not ) I'm all ears.
Thanks
Jamie
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI