This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Explorer.exe Bad Image Error Meassage

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I am using an Averatec laptop (Model No. 6100 Series) and running on Windows XP Home Edition. The CPU is a Pentium 4 Processor w/HT Technology 3.0 GHZ. This laptop is about 3 or 4 years old. I was running a system restore. There was nothing wrong with the computer I just wanted to set it to an earlier time. During the system restore the computer locked up so I manually powered off then powerd on. When the computer restarted and loaded windows I got this error message: "Explorer.EXE - Bad Image" (In the top line title bar area) "The application or DLL C:\Windows\System32\BROWSEUI.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette." after clicking okay, windows only displyas the background wallpaper. No icons pop up neither does the tool bar at the bottom. I am able to access programs only by hitting Ctrl, Alt, Del, and using the task manager. All of the programs seem to work fine. However when using his method when I click on create new task in the task managers file menu I get the same error message as above but with: "Windows Task Manager: taskmgr.exe - Bad Image" in the title bar area of the meassage. When I click ok I am then able to proceed anyway. I tried to use system restore undo my last restoration but I get this error message and I can not proceed: "Sysytem Restore: rstrui.exe - Bad Image" (In the title bar) The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\dxtrans.dll is nat a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette." I hope this problem can be solved without having to format my hard drive because I have some very important files I need on it. Any help is greatly appreciated… Many Thanks
Hello,
When you powered off, and then powered on, in the middle of the system restore you interupted the process of creating the new image.
This is not good.
Please tell me that you have an original XP CD.
If so we can run some utilitys from it to try and repair the corrupt folders.
  • Boot from the XP CD.
  • From the options screen select R for Repair.
  • In the command prompt window, type sfc /scannow.
Please note the space in the command.
With the image being corrupt you will most likely have to do a complete reinstall if this does not work.
Hey man, Thanks for your help. All i have are the Averatec recovery disks that came with the computer. These disks format the hard drive before restoring the factory settings. If I absolutly have to have an XP disk I guess I can sacrifice and get it. Just let me know which version I need to pick up. Will I be able to reserve my files? Let me know whats up. Many Thanks
So I got the RC iso burnt onto cd and ran the repair. The first thing I see sfter hitting R is: "Which Windows installation would you like to log onto (to cancel, press enter)?" So I'm not sure what to type in but I can only input one character. Let me know…. Many Thanks
Okay, I see now that i misunderstood the question at the command prompt. There is a list with only one option and that option is: "1: C:\WINDOWS" then it asks which installation I would like to log onto. So i choose "1" and now I have the "C:\WINDOWS>" Command prompt So i typed in the command from your first post and it didn't work. So whats next? Thanks
Now we try to get a more knowledgeable technician.
There are data recovery programs that can retrive some of your data, they cost money.
Do you have any thing that you can not lose?
If not it is time to use the recovery disc.
When the system restore process was interupted the image did not completely write to the hard drive, and is now corrupt.
Did you put the space in? sfc /scannow
Do you know how to put the hard drive in the machine you are now using (as a slave) and pull off the folders/files that you do not want to lose?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI