This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Insufficient Privileges

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I cant install a program i want to install. This doesnt happen with just this program it happens to about every program i try to update/install. Like Skype for example., I cant install it because it says I have insufficient privileges as well. My account is the only account on this computer so I have to be an adminstrator. I took permission of the whole AppData folder and Programsx86 folder but it still doesnt work! Please help! Ive tried installing on my SSD too but it just wont work! Full Error report: The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\osu!. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator
You don't say what operating system your running, but from what you said it's 64bit vista or Window 7, these are not admin accounts like they would be with xp, these are standard user accounts to keep you more protected, BUT, they do have an option to grant admin rights temporarily for times like this, instead of just clicking to install a file, right click on it and select to "Run as Admin" and that gives it the rights it needs to install, these are then stopped upon completion of the install, you need to repeat each install, hopefully this should solve your issue.
My head isn't with it today, I will have to check with others to be sure, but it looks like you have changed your account to an Admin account permanently, if this is correct that's a very dangerous thing to do, unless you know what your doing, and often even if you do know, malware etc. can use the account with Admin control\rights to mess you up, it is the biggest reason I'm aware of for Windows 7 doing this, to protect users, as a user is given an easy way to elevate to Admin status to do one off jobs such as this, and as described above how to do this, activating the Admin account, or elevating an account to full admin is not a wise move, unless I'm wrong in what I think those instructions do for you, but that said at least your sorted.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI