This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Stop programs from loading at startup

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have run hijackthis, and see that several programs I rarely or never use load at bootup, and the computer is rather slow to wake up. I could start these programs from the programs menu, so I don't want them to load. What is the simplest or safest way to stop them from loading automatically at startup? Thanks!
just to add a little detail to the previous post… in all actuality, the safest way is to open each application individually and in the options, take it out. However.. (and regaurdless of what anyone else may think) removing applications from starting up through msconfig is not now, nor has it ever been, a "bad thing". It cannot harm anything, it will not harm anything. Msconfig IS a utility put there to do specifically that job. (for all those who disagree, how do you think a startup manager removes/keeps them from starting up. And.. if thats not enough then visit http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s…estoreperf.mspx )

Hope that clears that up.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI