This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Processes overload

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I shut my computer down whenever I am not using it. When I start up, The CPU runs at 100% for about 10 minutes, so noting happens till it's through loading whatever is causing the problem. I would like for everything that doesn't need to load at start-up taken off my start-up menu. I have start-up cop, and have disabled or packed for removal everything I can see that doesn't need to run at start up, but my start up is a slow nightmare. I would really appreciate any help. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 7:42:04 AM, on 3/1/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414) AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ 2.01GHz 1GB RAM 112GB harddrive Internet connection speed:+/- 1214.3 kbps DSL
Hello watcherduck,

Are you using this machine as a Server?
That could make a difference in what you decide to leave running at StartUp.

You have several application/processes running at StartUp that I would "prefer" not to have running.
SOUNDMAN.EXE
[Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
[NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
[nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
[Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
[Adobe Version Cue CS2] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\ControlPanel\VersionCueCS2Tray.exe

Is your Adobe Reader a "paid" version?
Do you actually use Adobe Reader frequently?
Do you "create" .pdf file format documents?
If not, you may enjoy using "Foxit" which is a fully competent pdf reader with a much smaller footprint.

You don't need NotePad running active.
You don't need Logitec Mouse software running active (unless you use tons of their optional items)

Do you know why you have this Server/Workstation item installed? –> unsecapp.exe
_____________

We could certainly provide more informed recommendations with a little added information that could be easily generated with the Full Tests provided by PCPitstop at: http://www.pcpitstop.com
In the left hand column of that webpage select Full Tests
Register with a valid email address and create your own password.
Accept the ActiveX (it's safe) to allow your machine to run the tests.
When you get your Results (Full Tests takes about 2-3minutes) Select TechExpress
Post the URL TechExpress Link back here into this thread.
We'll be better able to give you recommendations with that information.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards
Not using machine as a server
Adobe is paid, I use it for invoicing and estimates, my clients can all open and print pdf
I have removed the suggested items from my start-up, but the CUE CS2 will re add itself to the start-up, it was part of the bundle Creative Suite, but I have no idea what it's used for, should I try to uninstall it?
I don't know what the Server/Workstation -> unsecapp.exe is for.
Here is the TechExpress URL:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=V13LFW1V6GWSCALJ
I have no way of knowing whether or not you need or use VersionCueCS2Tray.exe which is an element of you Adobe Software.

Since you say you use Adobe regularly for customer interaction, I'd error on the "inclusive" side, keeping it, or experimenting briefly with disabling it while interacting with another machine to send and receive and process typical PDF documents.

If it makes no difference in functionality, you might consider disabling it in MSCONFIG to determine if it saves you some resources. But keep in mind that it might have an important function with regard to your business.
__________

Do you actually have a RAID 0 hard drive setup?
(more than one Hard Drive acting "stripped" in concert, as if one, to increase speed of read/write access?

The nNVRaidService nvraidservice.exe "nVidia NVRaid - hard disk striping/mirroring utility for increased performance and reliability.
Doesn't seem to be required if you have a RAID setup as there is no performance difference without it"
_______

All of the other optional items (printed with Purple background) on the Windows performance page of your PCPitstop Results, can be safely disabled via MSCONFIG, or use the Pit Test links to learn more about disabling those items.

Since you show 20% CPU load when at "resting state" you definitely need to turn off a few things.
—————-

You "might" also consider turning off "hibernate".

You "might" benefit from disabling Gmail notifyer (again, it's your decision based on usage and preference)
_______________

Google "unsecapp.exe" to learn about Microsoft Windows Server/Workstation functioning and how it may apply to your machine.

unsecapp.exe is a process found on Microsoft Windows server and workstation suites which offers support towards compatibility issues. Please see below website for more information: http://msdn.Microsoft.com/library/default….atesinkstub.asp This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.
______________

You might also Set Virtual Memory Min and Max at 3072, instead of allowing Windows to manage Virtual Memory/Paging. That way your machine always will have a large amount of Virtual Memory available if/when applications demand heavy use of your Physically installed RAM.
___________

Since this is a machine that you use in "business", you'll want to be "cautious" about "disabling" items via MSCONFIG, but the Purple ones are safe, (with the above comment/considerations taken)
________________

Again, since you use this machine in business, and you use Adobe (a large resource consumer) and apparently also use JASC graphics (and possibly other graphic utilities) and other business applications (Free Invoicer 2.2.1)………. you may benefit from Maxing out the amount of Physical RAM that your machine can handle.

There is absolutely no better "bang for the buck" upgrade, than adding RAM.

Note: If you Add RAM, you "can" but don't absolutely "need to" increase you Virtual Memory by a factor of 3x the amount of Physically installed RAM.
___________

What do you use Drive E:\ for?
Defrag Drive E:\
_________

Your Drive C:\ is responding at a "fair" rate (50mb/s) (122%) but you should keep it Defragged frequently.
At 2% Fragmentation, you are suffering a slow down on C:\ that is "probably" noticeable.

If your Native MS Defrag tool, fails to improve your Defragmentation, you might consider VOPT Defrag (the paid version) Kinda "pricey" but definitely a better defrag tool.



If you are Saving Documents and Files on the same Drive as your Windows Operating System, you "may" improve Windows function by adding another Hard Drive specifically for Documents and Files. Similarly, it is a good idea to install Applications on a separate Drive or Partition separate from C:\ which has your Windows operating system.
_____

I don't "see" what version of DirectX you have installed, but suspect that you may not have version 9.0c, which you "should" have for best performance when operating Windows XP.
You can get DirectX 9.0c from Microsoft Download site, here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
______________

I don't "see" what version of JAVA Runtime Environment you have installed, but suspect that you don't have "any" Sun JAVA installed.
It is "very" likely that installing the most current version of JSRE will facilitate good function for you with regard to your internet activities.
Download Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6, here:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Please keep us posted with your progess and any questions as you proceed.

Presumably (but I'll ask/suggest anyway for safety sake) you have ALL of your important Documents and files backed up to a Removable source (CD or DVD) on a regular basis.

BackUp Regularly, especially before considering the changes that have been recommended in this post.

Best Regards
Cue CS2 refuses to be taken off the start list, so I am just shutting it down via task manager right after I deny it permission to access the trusted zone, and the internet. It doesn't seem to have any real function with CS2, since I can still open any adobe software without it running. I think I'll query Adobe on how to get rid of it. They probably use it to see how you're using their software. The gmail notifier is helpful, as it lets me know when I've got business mail. I did all the rest of the recommended things, and my CPU still maxes out, but only for a few seconds, which is bearable. I am going to talk to the guy that built my computer, and ask about getting as mush RAM as it will handle. I'm still not sure about the unsecapp.exe. It might be a holdover from when I used to try to keep my website up to date ( I found someone who likes to do it). I will research it some more, and see if I can get along without it. Thank you very much, you have been Most helpful!! :thumbup:
Best of Luck to you WatcherDuck. Thanks for deciding to become a Member here at TomCoyote. Glad to have been of some assistance. :thumbup: Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI