This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

too many start up programs

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have Win2000 SP4. I would like to discontinue having the computer boot up all the start up programs that "I think" are starting up with it each time. In my Explorer, under START UP, it lists PROGRAMS and under that it lists the following: Accessories CCleaner CleanUP Lavasoft Adaware 6 Panicware (blocks pop-ups) StartUP (and SG Spyware Guard in in this folder) WebEx Recorder & Player WinMPG Video Convert WinRAR Plus on the bottom right taskbar I have Volume, Comodo (Firewall Pro) and AVG7.5.503 Can you help me eliminate some of these programs from loading up each time to reduce some of my start up time. Thanks so much.
While reducing startups may improve the overall performance of your machine, it is important to consider that Win2000 SP4 does indeed take a relatively long time to boot initially. My Win2000 SP4 machine on a PIII 600mHz CPU with 768mb RAM, with AVG antivirus (free version) and Zone Alarm Firewall (free version) and no real-time AntiSpyware running, takes about 5 1/2 minutes to boot. If my AVG antivirus finds an automatic update, it can take 6 1/2 minutes.

Here's a very handy utility for managing Start Up applications and processes:
CodeStuff Starters

If you need assistance with recognizing which items are safe to disable, you can post a report, as an attached file.

With the Start Ups(tab) selected…
Click - Files - Save as HTML

Give the file a name and press - SAVE

Attach the report as an attached file in your next reply if you want assistance.

General "rule of thumb" most items in Start Up can be disabled except your AntiVirus and Firewall
The others are generally "user-preference".

Best Regards
Just wanted to point out that the stuff under START UP, PROGRAMS IS NOT what is starting when you boot your system. It's just the programs that are installed on your system. What actually auto starts on your computer at boot time is controlled by entries in various parts of the registry.

CodeStuff Starters that Doug gave you will help you reduce the boot time bloat.
I just attached my start up files from Code Stuff program. Please help with what to remove. question: all I would be doing by checking or unchecking these programs is to prevent them from being part of the Start UP Menu, correct? I would not be deleting? They would still be accessible from Start/All Programs, etc, correct?
Yes, you are stopping then from running at boot but they are all still available through Start / Programs.

This is what I found and deduced from your information. My recommendation would be to disable all the "not needed" ones and see how your system behaves. Re-enable anything that you feel you absolutely need. May want to wait a bit and see if anyone else comments on this.

SetupICWDesktop — Windows Connection wizard, not needed, your choice.
Acrobat Assistant.lnk — Not needed
Adobe Photo Downloader — Not needed
Adobe Reader Speed Launcher — Not needed
ANIWZCS2Service — Required, D-Link WPA support
AutorunsDisabled — Created by Autoruns, do you really need to use Autoruns? <– Do not change this item! I'm confused on this one, and believe it would be best to leave it until we discover what utility populated this file Doug
AVG7_CC — Required
AVG7_Run — Required
COMODO Firewall Pro — Required
D-Link AirPlus XtremeG — Required
GoToMeeting — Not required, your choice to keep or not
NvCplDaemon — Not required, your choice to keep or not
NvMediaCenter — Not required, your choice to keep or not
PopUpStopperFreeEdition — Not required, your choice to keep or not
SpywareGuard.lnk — Required if you want to keep using SpywareGuard
Synchronization Manager — Not required, synchronize offline pages stored locally with the matching online pages
SystemTray — If in C:\Windows\system32, ok. If not, virus
Yahoo! Pager — Not needed, your choice
zzzHPSETUP — Malware? Could not find a definite ID for this one. <–Not identified and will be marked for Remove if you run a HJT Log for analysis, but is not a big deal, as it refers to an installation application on CD (probably you installed an HP printer or scanner?

Sorry, but I could not get this to format correctly so had to revert to the above layout. Harder to read.

Yes, you are stopping then from running at boot but they are all still available through Start / Programs.

This is what I found and deduced from your information. My recommendation would be to disable all the "not needed" ones and see how your system behaves. Re-enable anything that you feel you absolutely need. May want to wait a bit and see if anyone else comments on this.

SetupICWDesktop — Windows Connection wizard, not needed, your choice.
Acrobat Assistant.lnk — Not needed
Adobe Photo Downloader — Not needed
Adobe Reader Speed Launcher — Not needed
ANIWZCS2Service — Required, D-Link WPA support
AutorunsDisabled — Created by Autoruns, do you really need to use Autoruns? <– Do not change this item! I'm confused on this one, and believe it would be best to leave it until we discover what utility populated this file Doug
AVG7_CC — Required
AVG7_Run — Required
COMODO Firewall Pro — Required
D-Link AirPlus XtremeG — Required
GoToMeeting — Not required, your choice to keep or not
NvCplDaemon — Not required, your choice to keep or not
NvMediaCenter — Not required, your choice to keep or not
PopUpStopperFreeEdition — Not required, your choice to keep or not
SpywareGuard.lnk — Required if you want to keep using SpywareGuard
Synchronization Manager — Not required, synchronize offline pages stored locally with the matching online pages
SystemTray — If in C:\Windows\system32, ok. If not, virus
Yahoo! Pager — Not needed, your choice
zzzHPSETUP — Malware? Could not find a definite ID for this one. <–Not identified and will be marked for Remove if you run a HJT Log for analysis, but is not a big deal, as it refers to an installation application on CD (probably you installed an HP printer or scanner?

Sorry, but I could not get this to format correctly so had to revert to the above layout. Harder to read.


I concur with all Ztruker and Doug say in the above post. I would guess that you are correct about "zzzHPSETUP".

I would post a HJT log myself as all I could find seemed to lean toward Malware regarding that entry.

All the best,
I disabled all the items you suggested except Autoruns, GotoMeeting, PopUp Stopper, , Sync mgr, System Tray and zzzHPSETUP b/c I wasn't sure about Malware or viruses. I just posted my HiJack This log. If you see anything that looks suspicious please let me know or others who look at might let me know. Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it. My computer does too.
Doug, My machine is running better. I have eliminated many programs - just taken off the ones I haven't used in years. I did the above (removing start up programs) and it does seem to help out with the time. I've changed my antivirus to AVG and my firewall to comodo and my spyware to Spyguard, Spybot S&D. Plus I've added drivers that have helped turn the machine off without it getting stuck and then having to push the off button which had caused several other problems. So it is running so much better. I have this What The Tech group to thank for all of that.
You have the "very old" (and good in its time) Ewido AntiSpyware. The Current version of the same excellent AntiSpyware is AVG AntiSpyware Free. Consider uninstalling Ewido and installing AVG AntiSpyware Free. Exception: if you've paid for Ewido and still have regular updates available in your subscription you "may" have a current scan engine. But I sure don't think so. _______________ I personally do not care for SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe. It's a good security product, but hogs resources, in my opinion. I use the passive Blocker SpywareBlaster, or MVPS Hosts File. Follow along carefully when you get a reply from your Malware Removal Expert. There are some things for you to clean up in that log Best Regards
I really dont use Ewido and want to uninstall. However I don't see it on the ADD/REMOVE screen (in Control Panel). Plus when I access Ewido through Start/Programs I don't see an uninstall option. Might this program be called something else (ie. the software publisher's name) and that's what is listed in ADD/REMOVE list? How should I uninstall?
I have figured out how to uninstall Ewido. I have upgraded to AVG AntiSpyward 7.5. I unstalled SG. Hopes this other method works smoother.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI