This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

system32\config\systemprofile

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Can anyone please tell me what would happen if I deleted the systemprofile folder?

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile

Thanks.
I bumped into your question while searching Google for something. Hope this helps give you some insight to the systemprofile folder, and what will happen should you decide to delete it.

Also, you can click on the links in my signature for more inormation about files and folder in XP…and what will happen if you delete them.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile
I delete the systemprofile folder and all its contents.

The systemprofile folder contains a standard profile for the local system.

I've found it best for a clean deletion to delete the systemprofile folder in safemode.

The systemprofile folder is one of those weird folders. With one XP installation, you can delete the systemprofile folder. With another XP installation, you can't delete the systemprofile folder.

If you are on a Dialup Connection, you probably won't be able to delete the systemprofile folder. When I was on Cable, it was a hit and a miss whether or not I could remove it. I currently have a DSL Connection, and I can remove it no problem.

If you are lucky enough to be able to remove the systemprofile folder and its contents, you will discover that it is recreated when visiting Windows Update.

Only now, it is created as a zero-length folder. Inside it will be a subfolder, Application Data. Inside the Application Data folder is a subfolder, Microsoft. And inside the Microsoft folder is an empty folder, SystemCertificates.

Once recreated by Windows Update, the systemprofile folder cannot now be deleted without first rebooting your machine.

Myself, I configure a Temp File Cleaner to remove the systemprofile folder and its subfolders after a reboot, along with other persistant folders and files.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI