This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

really easy question (I hope the answer is easy)

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Toshiba laptop that is always in a safe place. The only user account I use is the administrator account. When the computer boots up I get the "Log On to Windows" box with the user name: administrator and the password is blank (no characters). I then hit the enter key or click on OK to start windows. How can I skip these steps and just have the computer launch windows w/o the above? Thank You very much in advance. Tom
Under "Users" in the control panel, click on your account and then change the password. Enter nothing for password and then click on apply/ok and reboot and see if it still does it
OK, Here's a good one…went to logon/logoff options. Right away I get a warning box that says Client Services for Netware has disabled the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching. To restore these features you must uninstall Client Services for Netware. I'm searching around now trying to find where/what Client Services for Netware is. Thanks, Tom
go to My Network and right click on it. Click on Properties then right click on your Network connection (or which ever one you use) then click on properties again..then click on the "Install" button.. only problem is… that shouldnt have anything to do with you logging on
ROTFLMAO. I uninstalled the client services for netware (yup, from the network connections). Figured to myself oh great I'll be lucky if I can even connect to the internet. Once I uninstalled and rebooted I was able to get to Select logon and logoff options in user accounts, put a checkmark in Use the Welcome Screen and rebooted again. Whadaya know, the computer boots up without the Logon Box. I'm really scratching my head on this one. Well it's 2AM here in AZ and I need to get some rest for some serious BBQing and pool swimming tomorrow. Thanks for the help pal. Tom :thumbup:
Client Services for Netware is Novell's networking client; typically used in "company" environments. It will indeed replace XP's welcome / logon screen with its own and disable fast user switching; so your "fix" was appropriate. My question, though, is why was it there? I have Netware on one of my laptops that I use for work because I take it to the client site and/or tunnel into their network to do work – and I have to have Netware to log into their network, map their shared drives, etc. Doesn't have anything to do with my ability to access the internet, but I would not be able to work on this client's intranet without it. Did you acquire the laptop from someone else who had installed it for similar purposes? Do you need it to access someone's private network? ….just thinking and asking my questions out loud. :blink:
Just kind of played around a little more with the Laptop and Yes with the Netware software in place it always asks for Logon info. I thought about creating a user 'other' than the administrator and if well……NO way, it works, it ain't broke don't fix it This laptop has been in a small company environment before. I purchased this one originally for my wife to use at her office. I think at one time it was setup with a vpn system and its been on a couple of diff networks. I got my wife a new ultralite toshiba tablet and this one got added to my collection. Have a nice Memorial Day Weekend.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI