I recently had some work done on my desktop computer. The repair man seems to have set up ' Login as User' because every time I try to boot up that's what I have to do. I think I've tried everything I can think of including the Windows Help but I find there doesn't seem to be an easy way to go back to just firing up and the desktop loading. Is there a way of doing this? Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Do you have a password on your User? If so then windows will auto-login once you remove it, there's no reason for a password if you want your account to auto-login anyways.
Also if you have more than one User to choose from when logging in you won't be auto-logged because the computer doesn't know which account you want. If you delete the extra users until yours is the only one you will be auto-logged in, if you still wish to keep the users then don't worry there is another easy way to auto-log in.
There are 2 ways to use Tweak UI to auto-login. The first is to simply use it's built in Autologon feature. The second is to hide all the other user profiles. Hiding them keeps them off of the log-in screen thus causing windows to log-in with the only remaining one, yours (which you should keep un-hidden). I use hide since the other profile is only rarely used, but it if you wish to be able to use the user login screen to go on another account after logging out, then you should keep them unhidden and use Autologon instead.
Press WinKey+R or click on Start then Run, enter control userpasswords2 and press Enter or click OK.
Check the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" checkbox then click Apply. If it's already checked, skip to step 3.
Select the user you want to be automatically logged on by clicking on it.
Uncheck the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" checkbox then click Apply.
When you do this another window will open with the userid you selected showing (you can enter a different one if the wrong one is showing). Enter the password if there is one, leave blank otherwise. Click OK and you're done. Next boot, the userid you selected should be automatically logged on.
Vectris and Ztruker. Thanks for your replies. I followed your advice and my computer is now loading up without me having to log on. Thanks again.
Regards.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI