This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Guest Account is the ONLY account on Toshiba Laptop

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

 

I hope I am in the right place to post this, if not please let me know!

 

My daughter left her Toshiba laptop with Windows 10 on it when she moved out. It is 4 years old.  The only account on the laptop is the GUEST account, at least that is the only account that ever comes up.  I want to install Mapsource on it and it won't let me.

 

I tried to get it into safe mode by pressing F8 a gazillion times, this did not work.

 

I tried the windows icon +R and type msconfig and it would not allow me to  see the box that should pop up for Safe boot - minimal.

 

I tried RUN and typed cmd

 

I moved to C:\windows\system32 and typed net user and it listed the guest account and the admin account.

 

I then typed: net user administrator /active:yes  and got some error 5 message

 

Surely there must be a trick to get back into the administrator account.  I don't want to use the guest account.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :huh:

Look at C:\Users. Are there any other folders listed under there besides Public and Guest? I didn't thin kyou could have  Windows 10 system with just a Guest account.

 

Maybe reinstall Windows 10 is the simplest fix.
 
Download Windows 10. Choose Create Windows 10 installation media to make a USB flash drive you can install from, 8GB minimum size. This will get you the latest May 2019 1903 release.
 
Then follow this tutorial: Windows 10 - Clean Install. You don't have to worry about a key, the laptop will have a digital license stored on the Microsoft servers. When it asks for a key, skip that step.

Thank you for your help!

 

I ended up finding Safe mode in windows 10 using Shift-Restart.  I found a selection to reinstall windows, and that did the trick.  I know have one account, Administrator and I'm not adding any other user!!!

 

This allowed me to install Mapsource and the new map.

 

I'm happy now!

 

Thanks again!

 

dar

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI