This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Vista is driving me up the wall.

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

I cant seem to log into "Safe Mode" in Vista. Every time on booting I repeatedly press or hold down the F8 key but windows just starts normally.
Ive tried turning the computer off half way through booting up which takes me to the Diagnostic/Repair Screen where I found out I can't login to the "true(?)" Administrator Account. The users that are displayed when I get to this screen are:

  • SYSTEM
  • Dan (Dan-PC\Dan)
  • Administrators (Dan-PC\Administrators)

What's going on?

Yeah Ive done it I had to press F5 then F8 thank you. Do you know anything about the Aministrator Account which I was talking about?


Hi manicd,

When you go into control panel and user accounts. Can you click into: "Change Your Account Type".

If so, it's just as simple as changing it to an administrator account.

If not, right click 'my computer' and click 'manage'. On the left hand side menu, go down to Local Users And Groups and click into Groups. Click into Administrators and see if your user account is in there. If not, click Add and type in your username (which i think was just Dan, i'd have to check your original message), then click Check Name.

This will underline your name if you typed it in correctly and then it's as simple as clicking OK.

If this doesn't allow you to become an Admin. Reply back.

'Bob
Most likely the Vista Home versions, like the XP Home versions, do not allow you to logon to Administrator unless you are in Safe Mode. In XP Pro, when you are at the login screen, pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del will bring up the old style login screen where you can login as Administrator.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI