This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Error check

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I have a problem with my error checker. ( The one located on the same menu as the the defragmentor.) All of a sudden when ever I try to run the program it either freezes or states that there is an error and needs to shut down. I am running o Windows XP home edition SP2. Thanks in Advance, Corrine
Do you mean Scandisk..? Does it try to run, or run, at Boot? What you can do if it does not is go ahead and let it boot all the way up. Click on my computer and right click on the C:\ (drive) (or which ever drive you have Windows setup on) and then click on "Properties" and I believe under tools you can also run error checking. If it gives you the option, I would have it do the most detailed scan it will allow you to do. If this does not work.. then find your Windows install CD (depending on what type of computer you have, there may be an image of the cd already on a drive, Dell is good about doing this (such nice people *rolls eyes*)) Put the cd in and click on "Start" then click on "Run" and type SFC and then press it will show you a list of SFC options.. you want to choose.. or type rather.. SFC /scannow Let it do its thing and you should be good to go.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI