This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Disk Defragmenter Does Not Work

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I am running windows xp sp2, IE7 I have tried over the last few months to run disk defragmenter but have been unable to I get the following error message Disk defragmenter cannot continue prescan because there is corruption in file C:\PROGRA~1\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\50\BIN I have run chkdsk, sfc, scanned with various adware/spyware programs but cannot seem to fix. (I have just tried to run again and the following message came up Disk defragmenter cannot continue prescan because there is corruption in file C:\PROGRA~1\Common Files\ InstallShield\Professional\Runtime91 ) Please could someone help?
Those listed files are apparently running active at the time you are wanting to run disk defrag. Any idea what application they are associated with? ______________ Reboot into SAFE Mode One benefit of SAFE Mode is that it runs only minimum system and supposedly no autoloading third-party applications. So things should be nice and quiet for you to run Disk Defrag from SAFE Mode. Best Regards
no idea what they are associated with booted into Safe mode and tried to run defrag got two error messsages The instruction at"0x7c911e58" referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read. click ok to terminate program. Clicked ok then following came up The exception unknown software exception (0xc0150010) occured in the application at location 0x7c943345. click ok to terminate program.
I am trying to use the windows own defrag. I do not have any others installed. I have also tried to run the defrag from another users profile and got the following error. Disk defragmenter cannot continue prescan because there is corruption in file C:\System Volume Information\_restore{6E1098C4-B388-4E69-9D2F-FE3EB3A5A1F8}\RP1130\SNAPSHOT\Repository\FS I have also temorarily tried to rename the folder which (50\BIN) it then told me that a diff folder was corrupted - I kept doing this until I came across the following which I was not able to rename as it was in use.( several of these were folders with the name 1033) C:\Program files\SpeechEngines\Microsoft\Lexicon\1033

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI