This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

XP Defragmenter

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have recently removed malware from my computer via this site and now I want to defragment it. When I run the defrag tool it does nothing. I tried it in safe mode and it told me that the disk needed checking. I did that and it still does nothing. When I say it does nothing I mean it will not even analyze the disk. Also searched topic on internet. Suggested I go to run window\inf and install the defragmenter again but nothing happens. Please help Mark
Hi Mark01,

How much free space is remaining on you C:\Drive? You need at least 15% free to allow defragmentation to run. I assume you are using the defragmentation utility that came with your Windows OS. Am I right?

Try Auslogics Disk Defrag after cleaning up you HD of unwanted applications through Add and Remove if your disk space is limited.

Keep us posted on your progress,

kind regards,
Hey Tallin, After running chkdsk I tried defrag in safe mode and it ran fine. Although several files would not defrag. After it finished I rebooted in reg mode and tried to run again and it would not start. Any way it did work just not in a normal way. Oh I have over 49% free. And yes it is the defrag that came with windows
Hi Mark,

Did you try the Auslogics link I gave you?

What is your maintenance program regarding cleaning your temporary files and more. You may like to follow Learning each day link in my signature, run auslogics and keep us posted if either help you.

It is often necessary to defrag several times if you have not done it for sometime.

kind regards,
I downloaded Auslogics and saved it to desktop. When I tried to run it, I double clicked the icon hit run to execute the program and nothing happened. I try to keep my temporary files cleaned each day using ATF cleaner.
Hi Mark01,

After you downloaded Auslogics, did you install it? Does it show in your Add and Remove utility? If you did install it, and it is showing in Add and Remove and will still not run, I suggest you contact TomK who helped you with your recent HJT log asking him to take another look at your system.

Others may come by with their suggestions, but that is what I would do to attempt to solve the problem at this point in time.

Sorry I cannot help you further.

kind regards,
Hey Mark01,

If you've recently survived a Malware Removal, some of your Windows operating system files may have been removed when the malware was removed.

System File Checker (a native MS Tool) will scan your operating system and replace any missing or corrupted OS files.

System File Checker - sfc /scannow can only be run in Normal mode.

Boot Normally
GoTo:
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter <— Notice the space between "c" and "/"

Have your XP installation CD handy since SFC will call for it to copy and replace missing or corrupt files.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI