This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Big Networking Prob...

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am trying to install Windows XP on a computer with an Intel D865GBF motherboard. Within the motherboard there is a RJ45 connector which makes me think that I could connect this computer to my home network and thus use my shared DSL connection… But after installing Windows and trying to open up a network connection it tells me that I might be missing a hardware… When I look up in the Device Manager, I a few items with yellow interrogation signs show, I am sure that once connected it will be able to upgrade and install them but one of them is the Ethernet Controller, which I think it's what prevents me from accessing network priviledges, thus not letting me connect to the internet and upgrade… How could I solve this?… Could I plug a PCI Network Card from another computer eventhough there is a Network adapter attached to the motherboard?… Downloaded some drivers directly from Intel for this motherboard and still no luck… Any help will be very much appreciated…
Hi Shelf… Once in the BIOS what should I look for to determine that?… Anyways, I just finished installing Windows XP after I plugged in a PCI Network Card from another computer and it read it. At the moment Windows is being updated so it might take a while to give you an answer, but I will need to fix that issue since I have to take the PCI Network Card back-out… Meanwhile, I will wait for your answer on what should I look for in the BIOS, ok?… Thanks in advance for your quick response…
i would look under the heading—Intergrated Peripherals—then look for something like onboard LAN to see if its been disabled– check mainboard manual or makers website also
They weren't showing after trying to install a couple of times, since it kept showing in yellow the "ethernet contoller"… I reinstalled them today and now it shows and working… Don't know why it didn'y recognize them on the first try, but what the heck, now it is… Thanks for your help…
happy computing,
i know this wasnt malware related but:

some tips for reference:

Please follow a few tips to remain malware free:

Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
occasionaly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.

Also download, install and keep updated- Antivirus Software (and use only one):
Free for home users:
avast! 4 Home Edition Download
AVG free version 7.0 AVG free version v6.0 updates ended 12/31/04
AntiVir Personal Edition

Adjust your browser settings: Change your(active x) settings in IE. With IE open go to tools, internet options, security tab. Click on the internet globe, then custom level. Set the first option "download signed active x controls" to prompt, the next two to disable. Read more:
Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security
Many exploits are directed at Internet Explorer, you dont have to use it. Try a different browser:
Like Firefox,
And Pegasus Mail for a safer e-mail client.

Install a firewall. A firewall will control what comes in from the internet and what leaves your computer to the internet. A firewall will also alert you when a application trys to connect to the internet from your computer, this is a good way to catch crapware or trojans, trying to connect out bound from your computer- whats that and why does it need a internet connection? You can deny it access it until more investigation is done. Zone Alarm is a free and easy to use firewall, that will provide in and outbound protection. Microsoft XP firewall only provides inbound protection. SP2 adds in and out bound protection which is better than nothing, but is not as robust as third party firewalls, Be sure to run only >one< firewall.If you use another, be sure to disable XP's built in firewall.A inexpensive NAT hardware router with SPI (firewall)would be even better,along with a software firewall.
Zone Alarm
Kerio Personal Firewall
Outpost Firewall

Download, install and update before using:(if these are constantly finding malware, then you need to make some changes)
Ad-Aware SE Personal edition
Spybot Search and destroy
Becarful with spyware "removers and scanners"– there are many "rogue/suspect" programs that "claim to remove" spyware.

Other programs to consider:
SpywareBlaster
IE-SPYAD
AntiTrojan software to fill in the gap:
a2 free
Ewido Security Suite
Trojan Hunter (30 day trial version)

Learn More:
Tony's article So how did I get infected in the first place?
How to Secure (and Keep Secure) My (New) Computer(s)
Home Computer Security
Wilders Security Advisors

Watch what you download, and where you download it from. Many programs come bundled with "extra" crapware you may not want. Make sure you know what it is you will be downloading and installing. Visit the makers website, learn more about the program, Does the program you want come bundled with other "3rd party" programs? What do the 3rd party programs do? Will they deliver ads? Track your surfing habits?.You may be installing more than you think, Read the EULA agreement, you know that paragraph of stuff you "agree to" before the software installs? Stay away from warez and crack sites. Becarful what you download from file sharing networks.If you are not sure, scan it with your Antivirus app. A small file (in KB) is probably not what you think it is. Some p2p clients also install 3rd party stuff you probably dont want.If you search hard enough you can usually find a "clean" alternative to any software.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI