This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

network equiptment

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello A friend in networking is helping me try to get a Dell Inspiron 5150 xp sp2 msie6 on line. I made a list of the items in device manager around 'network' to see if I have what i need. Could you please look it over and let me know if I am missing something so I can go back to my driver or os discs and try to install it. 1-Modem - BCM v.92 56 k modem 2-Network adapters - 1394 net adapter 3-and Braodcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller 4-PCMCIA adapters - PCI - 4510 cardbus controller Thank you for your help
We don't know what you are trying to do!!! How are you trying to connect? Dial up? Cable/DSL? Wireless? What happens when you try to connect? Are you getting errors? The modem requires a standard telephone connection. And you would have to be setup with a dial-up service such as NetZero or Juno, or something local. And you would have to program in the necessary phone number(s). 1394 adapter is for your Firewire connections, an alternative/competitor to USB. You don't typically connect to the Internet through Firewire. The 10/100Mb integrated controller is the network interface built into the motherboard for Ethernet connection to a network (even if a network of 1 computer). There will be a RJ-45 connection for the Ethernet cable - If connecting to a local network, there should be little you have to do to get connected other than physically connect the Ethernet cable, get an IP address from a router, or through the gateway (the cable or DSL modem) from your Internet provider, then connect - this would be pretty automatic if the network side is set up properly. And PCMCIA is for your PC Cards. Did your friend in networking not know what the 56k Modem or the 10/100 are for? Please be more specific about how you are trying to connect and what is preventing you from doing so. BTW - with IE6, you are a security risk to you, and to the rest of us. As soon as you get connected, you need to update to the more secure IE7 (even if planning to use an alternative browser). You don't want to be part of the security problem by not keeping your computer properly updated, patched, scanned, and blocked.
Grampy - why are you posting your questions in multiple forums? :( Shotgun posting is not proper forum etiquette! Site admin/mods, please close this thread. Thanks A Davis.
Digerati, Was my bad more or less, he WAS having issues with his hardware, "!" points next to some of his network hardware, since thats not really one of my stronger points I suggested he ask about getting the hardware issues resolved here before I could continue to help him get his laptop online. Sorry :( I'll watch what I suggest or recommend in the future. A Davis But Yes please Admins/Mods please close this since he fixed his hardware issues.
No problem and my apologies to (both of) you too - I only looked at your last two responses, I should have looked at the third, or read the whole thread thoroughly.

However, after reviewing both, this is still a continuing network connection issue with the same PC. To keep history together, I'm glad you agree pressing on with the other thread (and closing this one) still makes better sense than having two threads open. That usually leads to the OP working two tangents at once as multiple people suggest multiple solutions without knowing what's being suggested (or done) on the other side. That leads to confusion for all, and possibly further damage to the computer. And no one wants that.

I am afraid I have some errands to run, but when I come back, I will look closer at the other thread again to see if I have anything to offer. However, just from scanning over it, I can't think of anything now A. Davis might have missed.
Ouch!!
Learning is becoming embarassing to say the least.
I have been visiting forums for a long time and if I erred I was spoken to as an adult not lectured AT..
When I had the converstaion with Al about networking I thought we were getting along and doing the right thing. He suggested I post in hardware as his experience with the rest of my questions was limited. I thought that was reasonable and did not know ALL the rules. I now know,even under these circumstances , not to post in another thread.
You sounded angry with Al but he was only trying to help me.
As far as content goes you act as though my questions and goals were in explicable.
I find that inconsistent with the contents of my thread with Al as we both understood each other.
When a doctor dispenses empathy with medication he gets a better result.
I thought this would be a fun place to talk with adults as adults and if someone strayed BY ACCIDENT,
they would be nicely corrected not assaulted.
Al, it was a pleasure speaking with you and I apologize to you for the trouble you encountered trying to help me.
Please note that I try to write my responses so all readers, current and those that stumble on this post in the future, can follow along and maybe learn something along the way. So, no not angry - and again, I apologize for jumping the gun. The problem is not simply because of rules, the problem is three fold - all too often folks, usually those new to forums, feel their problem is more important or more critical than other folks' problems. So they shotgun their questions in multiple forums and often several sites too in the hopes their problem will get much more exposure, and fixed right away, ahead of others. This often results in several helpers (who are usually volunteers) working on the one problem - leaving many others (who may have been waiting longer) without help. And yes, when that is done intentionally (and I am sure this was not) I do get angry, as I do with stop sign runners and folks who cut in line. Please understand this is a common Internet-wide "forum etiquette" item. It is an understood rule, whether written or not - though it is usually mentioned in the agreement new forum members agree to when joining. After working forums for many years, it is easy to forget that what is obvious to some, is not to folks newly exposed.

The second problem is that there is rarely one single correct path to troubleshooting and repairing a given problem. Responders have their own methods to eliminate possible causes and work their way to the fault, and the accepted solution. Even though the end result is the same, it does not mean the steps in either method are interchangeable, or can be done out of order. And so when the same problem is being worked in two or more places, and one helper is not aware of all the steps the user is taking, more damage may result.

And finally, misunderstandings and confusion for both the helpers and the poster result - as demonstrated nicely in this thread, and particularly by your statement:

As far as content goes you act as though my questions and goals were in explicable.
I find that inconsistent with the contents of my thread with Al as we both understood each other.

Note here, Grampy, that by your own statement, you assume that everyone reading this thread is automatically fully aware of the content of your other thread with Al! And therefore, you assumed the minimal information in your opening post in this thread totally explained the scenario. :( It did not explain the scenario. It can't be assumed that every reader is up to speed on every post on this site.

When new threads spin off of old threads, the opening post should reference and include links back to the original thread. In this way, folks like me, that are unaware this is not a new issue, can reference the other thread, get up to speed. Shotgun issues are avoided - there would not be the "appearance" of trying to get extra help ahead of others.

No harm done, and I am sure nothing was done out of bad-intentions. As far as learning being embarrassing, yes, it can be. But after being in this business for 35+ years, if there is one thing I have learned, it is that there is always a whole lot more to learn!
Digerati I am a hunt and peck typer so my message will be brief. The quote you used as an example of the trouble caused by not staying within a thread is more than proof; it is graphic and demonstartes the need to follow protocol. I made the same type error once before here and vowed not to do it again so I wave the white flag. I remember getting in a mess and the mod straighteneing it out for me. I was influenced by Al's suggestion but was wrong. I speak for him but really believe at the moment he thought it was ok and so did I. I have never encountered that exact situation before, i.e. one running out of information and suggesting I move. We have never met each other but the three of us sound like rational and polite people so there was no intentional malicious deed commited. I won't cross threads under any conditions and further the idea of rudely 'getting ahead' of someone else is equally deplorable to me. Now I feel I owe the two forums an apology. I also owe the mods an apology b/c in my haste to defend Al I spoke too loudly and a bit too rudely about something I did not know about. I really don't think he wanted to direct me into a problem. He sounds so well meaning. I certainly did not want this to develope. Actually, for all the work you do, I am surprised,given the circumstances, I was not banned from the forum. As my tenth wife told me, " Don't overreact to issues." :( If I am wrong please correct me; I should go to the original thread and not hard and wait for an answer form someone.
10th wife? lol You didn't learn after the 1st bad one!!! lol Well, at least my second is a keeper.

No problems, and certainly, nothing you did deserved banning. Besides, I don't have the authority on this site. ;)

And no A Davis (not Al, BTW) did not mean any harm either.

I have added my two cents to the other thread. Let's call this topic done, and press on there.
Yeah, every computer with XP that connects in one way or another to the Internet should have SP2 and IE7 installed, and fully updated. It is important to note that badguys go for the easy pickings and without upgraded SP2 and IE7, regardless the security defenses or user discipline, if the computer connects to the Internet, it is ripe for even wannabe badguys.

That's not to say you are automatically safe just because you are fully updated. Every computer must still be behind a firewall (preferably behind a router with NAT too), and running real-time, current, anti-virus and anti-spyware scanners. Most importantly, the "practice" of safe computing requires unyielding discipline to ensure the computer remains updated, patched, scanned, and blocked, while at the same time, all users consistently avoid sites badguys tend to wallow in, such as many P2P and porns sites.

BTW, I use IE7 exclusively. I accept that Firefox is a good browser, and even inherently safer than IE7. But I don't buy into the hype that you are automatically safe with Firefox, or totally vulnerable with IE7. All those steps above are what you need to do whether using IE7 or FF. And in doing so, you no longer are easy pickings and unless some determined badguy has a bone to pick with you specifically, the badguy is going to move on to the many millions of PCs with unpatched, out of date, unsecured, (and often pirated - :() Windows installations, and undisciplined users.

There's a bit of a learning curve with IE7, but once you get used to tabs and the other features, you will like it. I have two add-ons - the Google toolbar and IE7Pro. Just be careful when installing both - they default to adding more goodies for them, bloat for you. But they do provide a box to check to opt out. I like IE7Pro because it included a "real-time" speller that yells at me (underlines misspelled words) when my fingers go wayward.
I must admit I like Explorer 7. I had some of the Netscapes etc but they are not recognized at banks and other institutions. I have xp home so I do not think I have that spell check you mentioned. It is too bad there are bad guys b/c everyone is paranoid not to mention the millions we spend to protect ourselves. On the other hand the economy is boosed a bit by all of the defensive devices. I have a question re: putting pictures at a site so the plumber in a foum can view them. Do you allow that here? Photobucket used to be good but I think they have not allowed attachments. Whoops!, before I get into it, should I mix that up with MSIE7 or should I start a new thread? Anyway thanx for the # 7 as it is safer and has some handy bells and….
Digerati I am writing to your name b/c I made some mistakes using the appropriate thread; I think my attempt to get the laptop was on three threads. I bought a wireless adapter and don't know which pc to install it on. It is a Trendnet TEW-424UB. Before I ask questions, am I on the right thread to continue with my investiigation? Thank you
If this is a new problem with a new computer, it should be a new thread. As far as where to put the wireless adapter, it connects to which ever computer you are trying to wireless connect to your wireless network.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI