This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Lighting Strike!

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am sure a current spike came in and ruined my DSL modem, the wireless Router, and it must have got my Ethernet port on my Desktop. I picked up another wireless router and a DLS modem like I had before and connected everything back up, but got no light on the router signaling the cable was connected. . Since my Ethernet Port is apparently bad and is part of the Motherboard I don't want to replace it. My question is, can I install a board of some type on a empty slot which will allow me to use a Ethernet Cable? Thanks! I typed from the comand prompt IPCONFIG /ALL and this is the information I received….Tell me if the Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4: Should read media port connected. As you can see, It now reads disconnected….. :angry: . Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] © Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp. C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator>cd.. C:\Documents and Settings>cd.. C:\>ipconfig /all Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Compaq-Presario Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller C:\>
Yes, you may install any of several different brands, types, and models of ethernet adapter. The easiest, and safest, route you can go would be to purchase a USB Ethernet Adapter that simply plugs into a USB port. If you want to install a new network card in your computer, you can also do so. Chances are you will be needing to purchase a PCI Ethernet Adapter. A PCI Ethernet adapter can be had for as low as $10. YOu don't need anything special, although you may want to stick with a gigabit adapter rather than a 10/100 as they call them (10 or 100 Mbps). They are only slightly more expensive. Other than PCI, you may possibly use PCI Express, but PCI is still a pretty universal slot almost any computer in the last 10 years is going to have.
Any errors in device manager? Do other computers connected to this network get Internet access okay?

This being XP, you may need to install a driver with the new adapter, but I agree with Lee, this should not be hard, assuming that is your problem.

If me, I would uninstall your network adapter driver, then shut down and unplug your computer. Then unplug from the wall the modem and router. Then connect the modem and wait for the traffic/data lights to stabilize. Then power up the router and wait again for the lights. Then one computer at a time. This should reset your network and might just fix your problem.

Oh, and Ethernet cables and connectors are very low-tech and fragile "transmission" media that can not stand being yanked and tripped over. Try another cable before spending more money.

And, while NOTHING can protect you from a direct lightning strike if Mother Nature is out to get you, a "good" UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) can protect you from just about every other power anomaly that comes through the power grid. A surge and spike protector is little more than a fancy, and expensive extension cord. Note that power during a power outage is just the icing on the cake. The automatic voltage regulation is the bread and butter. Hmmm, I am hungry for some reason. ;)
I Googled the USB Ethernet Adapter and see several types. None of the USB ports were effected in the spike and a plug in Adapter would be simple, however I prefer installing a Adapter in one of my vaccant slots on the motherboard. Do you use a particular vendor when you might need parts? Thanks!
Digerati, The only other PC was a Laptop the wife used to get online from her desk.. I am certain the Ethernet port is no good on the Desktop. I cannot get a light on the Router using the Desktop cable, but get a light on the Router with the laptop…..This tell me the port is bad. I might add the Ethernet port on my HD DVR from Direct TV is also bad now…..I had a Ethernet cable connected to the HD DVR to the Router as well. The spike must have traveled through the cable to the HD DVR. I looked at the Device Manager last week and no alerts were seen. I am shopping for a new Ethernet card. Thanks!

Do you use a particular vendor when you might need parts?

Ethernet technologies have been around for a long time, so really, you don't need to stick with the major brands. I would not get the cheapest, but I would not get the most expensive either.

As for 10/100 or 1Gb/s, while the router must be 1Gb/s capable to take advantage of the higher speed for your local network (everything on your side of your router), 1Gb/sec will NOT improve your Internet speeds as they are bottlenecked by your modem/ISP. Still, if me, I buy for the future, so getting a 1Gb/sec NIC makes sense.

For wireless adapters, while "in theory" you can use any brand adapter with any brand WAP (wireless access port - typically integrated with routers, which are then incorrectly called "wireless routers"), sticking with the same brand adapter as the WAP tends to be less troublesome.

The only other PC was a Laptop the wife used to get online from her desk

"Was"? I am afraid that does not answer my question. I ask again, "Do other computers connected to this network get Internet access okay? "

Also, note that router ports (actually, they are the integrated Ethernet "switch" ports) can go bad too. I have an old 2-port Linksys router. It used to a 4-port but two of the ports fried.

Note too, for a test, you can remove the router altogether and connect directly to the modem. You will have to flush your current IP assignments but this will remove the router from the equation and verify you do indeed have a good (or bad) modem and Internet access.
You asked the question , were there any other PC's connected to the network. The answer is no! As soon as I can install a new card I am sure all will be just fine again. Direct TV is going to replace my HD DVR with the bad E port. :clap: . The only reason I went wireless was so the wife could go online with her Laptop, and use her Kindle to d/load books.

You asked the question , were there any other PC's connected to the network. The answer is no!

Actually, I asked (twice) "Do other computers connected to this network get Internet access okay?" That is not the same thing as "connected to the network".

Your network is everything on your side of your router. The Internet is on the other side of your modem. You must connect to your network to get access to the Internet, but a network connection does NOT imply Internet connection.

But in any case, you say "no". And if that is the case, then I think you need to verify you have Internet connection first by connecting another computer to your network, then seeing if it has Internet connection.

You asked the question , were there any other PC's connected to the network. The answer is no!

Actually, I asked (twice) "Do other computers connected to this network get Internet access okay?" That is not the same thing as "connected to the network".


But in any case, you say "no". And if that is the case, then I think you need to verify you have Internet connection first by connecting another computer to your network, then seeing if it has Internet connection.



Let me say it this way, there were no other PC's connected to the router, I did try connecting the Ethernet cable from my Desktop to all four ports on my new router but still no light. Now with the new Modem and Router connected and using the the wife's Laptop's Ethernet port, the Router port light comes on and the network works just fine. The Laptop can reach the Net without problem. Hopefully I can pick up a card and pop it in soon, The wife hates not being able to go online with her Kindle.
This AM I purchased the only D-Link Ethernet Adapter Office Depot had for 14.99. I installed the drivers from the CD and popped in the adapter in a vacant PCI slot. I made all the Ethernet cable connections and had the network up and running within a hour…. :clap: Thanks All!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI