This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

No internet connection posssible

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, tech community. I need the low down on why my internet connection is not working. The internet router is golden , working perfectly, since I'm typing into the big www. The reinstallation of Win XP Home Edition was required but I did not have an internet connection after that deed. Some yellow conflicts appear in "DEVICE MANAGER" ,about 6 items. Audio Conttoller, Ethernet Controller, some others too. The LAN is showing connected at 400 MBpS, but 0 packets sent or received. The LAN connection that is usually there; is not there but it's showing a 1394 connection. I have learned that 1394 is not my ethernet but rather some "FIREWIRE" connection. Is there a program that allows me to plug my Ethernet cable into computer and this plug and play will work normally. I'm not looking forward to finding 5-6 drivers for some built-it Ethernet card, I'm rather disappointed with the Win XP re-install, since at least I did have a working internet connection to begin with but, the computer ran slowly and I suspected a virus had caused some damage. Any thoughts or even better solutions to this would help me greatly. Thank you for reading EME-GLEN
You need to install the drivers for your system, the LAN in your list in device manager is why your not able to use it, all those marks mean the drivers for those components are required before they will work, this is standard after a reinstall, so go to the board makers site, and download\install ALL the drivers for your board, start with installing the chipset, then video (your video will need to be got from Nvidia or ATI depending on your card), then sound followed by all the others, once complete everything should work fine.
HI EME-GLEN, welcome to WhatTheTech. If you give us the make and model number of your computer we can help you locate the drivers you need to get your computer working right again. Happy Thanksgiving
Well there I was elbow deep in my machine again; it's a Heinz 57 Intel Board ID tool very useful it shows my machine is a "DG965RY" discontinued Board Ver. AAD41691-206 Bios Ver MQ96510J.86A.1666.2007.0327.2349 tHE laN adapter is Intel 82566DC Gigabit The software and drivers was dl'd but it did not like the driver prog. The machine kept rebooting during the driver installation. This a Intel network connections sw ver 14.7 I am refering to. I'm going to look for just the LAN driver now for the builtin ethernet card. I still have 5 yellow conflicts: Audio Device on High Defnition Audio Bus Ethernet Controller PCI Simple Controller Card SM Bus Controller VGA Controller (VGA Compatible) I will dig up my NVIDA CD or use the net to reinstall that driver, but I have a display so no panic there. The machine did a series of reboots and it did not like that Intel Network connections Software version 14.7 at all. Known issues in the readme file include the "unexpected reboot on driver update"; it eludes to some DCA- capable device has registered Quickdata driver to perform Direct Cache Access, the driver will not unload. When the quickdata driver is UL'd, the O/S will force a reboot. I'm not sure what my DCA device is but the machine kept rebooting. No other solutions were offered to turn off the DCA device or whatever else would work. So back to the net for a driver to my card ..again. Thanks for reading EME-GLEN
This looks like the right web page for your Intel board: Intel Desktop Board DG965RY

Select Windows XP Pro and Drivers. I see

LAN: Intel® PRO Network Connections Driver for Intel® Desktop Boards for Windows XP*

Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® Desktop Boards

Video: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for 963/​965 Chipset-​based Intel Desktop Boards

Audio: IDT* 92XX Driver

Intel® ME: Management Engine Driver for Intel 963/​965 Chipset-​Based Desktop Boards

No luck yet with this machine It's killing much time, the drivers from intel don't go in Ver 14.7 without the machine reboooting at the update driver or install drivers program Version 14.7. I tried newer versions of it and it did not work, so back at the net to find a solution. Thanks for reading. EME-GLEN :o
Great news my internet is back. It was a big surprise to see the "Hidden Devices" in the device manager. I choose PPPoE and update driver. It worked and gave me a LAN notification. Right away the LAN error comes up, as LAN connection is unconnected. I plug in the ethernet cable and bam I'm on the net again. Now I need to clobber those little yellow conflicts. So I'm back to the net just not with audio yet or my NVIDA software installed. Thanks for reading. EME-GLEN
Glad to hear you've made progress, sorry I've not been on much, got so much on I've hardly had time to sneeze lol, anyway just install the driver for each device in turn as I said above, just take notice to get the correct driver for your OS and you will be fine, once you've done that all the marks should be gone, and everything working nicely, so just take them 1 at a time and you will be done before you know it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI