GDOGG
Topic Starter
Discussion
Links Problem
4 min read
chip4brains
First, type www.google.com into your browser. If that doesn't open, and there is an error msg - read the message. No msg, then probably the browser is hosed. Either try a different browser (firefox installs & then uninstalls nicely) to see if that works. If the other browser works, repair or reinstall your original browser.
Crow
what browser are you using..? Mozilla has that problem.. specially if you have two or more instances of it open..
GDOGG
im using IE 6 with windows 98, what happens is that say im on a site with pictures or links to other sites they just dont open and nothing ever happens really confusing, I have downloaded nothing lately that I would think would cause problems. Just music and a programme from Disney site.
chip4brains
This isn't really enough info. If you're on a site then somehow you got there, either through a link, a favorite, or an address typed in. Which way makes a difference to figure out what's wrong.
Next, you say you're clicking pics etc. and going nowhere. Are these pics links, or are they javascript routines that change the page? This makes a difference if you have scripting turned off. Do you have a popup blocker or certain IPs mapped out in your hosts file?
We need more info and maybe the source of a non-working page to see what may be going on.
GDOGG
im using the Yahoo Search Bar with Pop up Blocker, what is happening is ie. I just got the e-mail to say that you had responded to my question and the link within the e-mail opens up explorer but nothing happens just a blank box. It has no address down the bottom and just stays that way. All that can be seen is the text from the page before. The same thing happens when I try to play Yahoo Pool I can click the room to open it and a page will appear but after that nothing, just stays blank. I can use search engines and click and open the results that I search for but after that the links to other things on those pages do as mentioned above.
chip4brains
First thing is to remove the search bar & blocker. If the problem goes away, don't put them back. If the problem remains, you need to look at the source code for the page the link is on and see how the link is called - then hit the link and see if your address bar matches what the link code says or if you've been redirected in some way.
GDOGG
I have an odd problem with IE recently. I can't open a web page in a new popup window. For example, I right click an URL and choose "open in a new window", or I click an URL which will popup a new window, it only open a blank IE window. same with links in emails> what was suggested above has had no effect would my hijack log help. I just found out that I cant even click on to my internmet banking. The site comes up and i can hit the log on link and then it will come up with the security box and after i press ok the same problem happens just a blank box with no address or anything. Is it something to do with Java Script I've had a look at it but most seem to be enabled. HELP
GDOGG
I have an odd problem with IE recently. I can't open a web page in a new popup window. For example, I right click an URL and choose "open in a new window", or I click an URL which will popup a new window, it only open a blank IE window. same with links in emails> what was suggested above has had no effect would my hijack log help. I just found out that I cant even click on to my internmet banking. The site comes up and i can hit the log on link and then it will come up with the security box and after i press ok the same problem happens just a blank box with no address or anything. Is it something to do with Java Script I've had a look at it but most seem to be enabled. HELP
Crow
hmm.. how long has it been since you dumped your temp files?
GDOGG
temp files get dumped every time i log off, anyway problem fixed now gone with mozilla. so cheers guys and thanks for the help much appreciated!!!!