This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 10 license expiring soon

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

A few years ago I bought a desktop Dell computer with Windows installed with Microsoft office.  Last year, because support was stopping for that version of windows I upgraded to Windows 10 on line from Microsoft.  My office suite then became invalid and now I am receiving a pop-up message that Windows 10 license is expiring soon.  Until I upgraded everything was fine and legitimate and there were no issued with Office or Windows operating system.Is this Microsoft trying to extort more fees as the  services were included when I bought the computer.

Thanks,

Brian

Open Settings, Updates & Security. Click on  in left Pane.
Post a picture of that window.

How to Take a Screen Snip (Screenshot) with Snip & Sketch in Windows 10

ADD IMAGE - How to add an image to your post

Also, in a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) window run:

slmgr /dlv

and post the results. Should look something like this:

 

📎slmgr.jpg

 

Also,

  1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Navigate to Updates & Security > Activation.
  3. If your copy of Windows is not properly activated, you'll see the Troubleshoot button. Click it.
  4. The troubleshooting wizard will now scan your computer for possible problems.

Hopefully I got the snips posted correctly!!!  I do not have the troubleshoot option and it says it is activated through my organisation.  But I bought the computer with Windows installed and then upgraded to Windows 10 on line from Microsoft.  My worry is that it says I have 18 days but it said that yesterday!!  I will keep checking to see if the remaining days changes.

Thanks

You have KMS, Key Management Service in use. Looks like you never really had a valid/legal Windows 10.

 

What OS did you upgrade from? If Windows 7 or 8/8.1 do you still have that key? If Win 7 it would be on a tag on the computer. For 8 or 8.1 it would be in the BIOS if the computer came with it.

 

You could enter that key, see if you get a clean activation.

Hi, Is this the key that I need?

Thanks

 

 

 

Edited by Ztruker to remove key. Never, ever post in an open forum. It will be swiped and used by someone else.

I deleted the key you posted. Never post openly.

 

Also, that is not a key you can upgrade to Windows 10 since it's a Vista key.

 

You need Windows 7, 8 or 8.1. What version of Windows did you upgrade to Windows 10 from? If it was also using KMS then you were using an illegal copy of that as well so until you get a legal copy of the Windows you upgraded from or Windows 10, I won't help you.

 

From the WhatTheTech TOU:

 

 

The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

Thanks for deleting!!  I wanted to make sure it was or was not the right key but realised afterwards it was not a smart idea.  I will try to get the info on the version I upgraded from but it was legitimate from a computer dealer with the computer. 

Not entirely sure!!!  I have had this computer for many years and it has documents etc that I would like to keep.  I also do not use it for anything high tech so it works well for me.  Now that this has happened I remember a few years ago the hard drive gave trouble and a repair service installed a new larger hard drive and transfered the information to the new one.  I will take it back to them and follow up if they made a change to the operating system at that time.  I will try the showkeyplus you recommended.  Thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI