This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

End Of Windows 7 Support

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Microsoft is ending it's support for Windows 7 in 2020 forcing the use of Windows 10. BIG, BIG mistake. In my opinion Windows 10 will end up being another Vista when it first came out.

I respectfully disagree. Windows 10 is and has been rock solid for me. I always run the latest released version and update as soon as it's available, currently at 17763.437 1809.
 
I'm also in the Insider program running 18875.1000 1903 which is also solid for me.

 

I would not want to regress to Windows 7, just as I did not want to go from Vista back to XP when all the moaning and groaning about Vista was going on. It took a lot of updates but Vista eventually became a good, solid OS. I  liked 7 too but once I moved to 10 I would never go back.

 

I do understand why businesses don't want to upgrade to 10, at least not for several years. They have a lot of money invested in Windows 7 in terms of training and custom software and it takes a long time to make big change like moving to a new OS. For individuals this is (mostly) not the case. Many people want a new OS, like 10, to look, feel and behave just like the OS they are currently using because they are comfortable with it. They forgot the effort they had to put into to getting to that point. Some effort will be required to make Windows 10 comfortable for them.

 

Also, Microsoft is slowly listening to it's users and finally returning some control over updates back to the user. Mostly for Pro and Enterprise but some for Home.

Respectfully, I think your missing my point here. First of all (and you mentioned it yourself with Vista - not to mention 8) all the problems Microsoft has coming out with new operating systems is uncalled for. How would you like to buy a new car and the manufacturer tells you theirs problems but we'll fix them down the road after you drive it a while. I wouldn't call that exactly listening to their customers. Also, let me tell you I was part of the insider program as Windows 10 was being developed and little input was taken from that program. Windows 10 is based on the retail buyer with all the bells and whistles business don't need including information gathering more intense than Google. With Windows 7 you have much more control of your system and security which, in my opinion, is exactly why Microsoft developed Windows 10. In the end, it all doesn't matter - like the O.S. themselves we have no control over the outcome and are forced to change to the developers needs - that's how the lack of competition works.

 

How would you like to buy a new car and the manufacturer tells you theirs problems but we'll fix them down the road after you drive it a while.

You should go to your local Ford, Chevy, GM, etc dealer and ask to look through their service bulletins. The day the car first ships there are more than 100 already in the dealerships, waiting to be implemented if the customer has that particular problem. Over the course of several years that number triples.

 

Sounds a lot like Microsoft and Windows :lol:

 

I would like a better, more stable OS too but I'm pretty happy with Windows 10. For me it's solid. For others, not so much. I know people who push it, Gamers especially, have a tough time but I'm not one of them.

 

I do see your point. I would to see the Pro version mirror the Enterprise LTSC version with no Apps and better/total control of updates.

I'm not concerned about Microsoft's info gathering but I know many are.

 

Hopefully things will get better as Windows 10 ages (mellows? ).

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI