This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Please Help me convert my Windows xp!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I tried posting before and didn't hear back so I'm trying this again as Im very worried!

I recently found out that I do Not have a legit/licensed copy of Windows (no valid licensed product key) and recently Microsoft has made it so that when you go to try to get updates, you're tricked into downloading their Windows Genuine Advantage tool. This puts an annoying wga message when the computer is turned on each time but more than that, I cannot get all the updates I used to get :( Aplparently, I have a volume license key. This old computer is not from a manufacturere but was made by hand by someone else.

MIcrosoft said that people can still get security updates and automatic updates. I have mine checked to get automatic updates but I'm not sure that I am getting those as I no longer receive the box that says its installing updates..havent seen that one in about 2 months! How do I tell?

I paid $40 recently to get Norton AV removed (what a nightmare! I do NOT recommend Norton!) and to subscribe to Panda Titanium 2006. The Panda has allready neutralized a virus! when I wasnt even online so that worries me too.
the Virus Name: Bck/IRC.Mirc.Based

Two days ago a Panda box came up saying that IE was not up to date!
Not long after, another box of Panda’s popped up saying that the system was vulnerable to internet threats….Microsoft needed to be patched!! :o
And it directed me to the same old Microsoft Udpate site that doesnt let me get the updates using the express or custom button : (

When i try to it says you have to download the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
which checks to see if your copy of Windows is genuine by checking Windows Product Identification and Product Activation status. So validation is required for some updates.

Here is the place on microsoft where I try to manually download updates http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search….?displaylang=en
So far, I believe ive been able to download a couple.

The problem is, I dont know how to find out which updates I really need; i.e., which are the Priority/Critical Updates??
Is there another place on the site or elsewhere where I can get priority updates?

Two days ago I noticed the right and left sides of my screen are cut off! :o What is that from and what can I do? Does that mean memory is eaten up or resources??
I have noticed that since having Panda installed my computer is a bit slower but I do like this Panda.

My operating system is Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
I need to purchase an authentic copy asap. I hate to do this as its about $150!!! :angry:

How do I do this? Their site's print is unbelieveably small! and I couldnt see where/how to actually purchase the above/Windows license.

Does this mean I have to uninstall my current windows?? Hope not as dont know how to do that.

It says on their site that people can CONVERT their OS to a genuine copy of Windows by buying an ELECTRONIC LICENSE.
They send you the prouct key #'s in email and you have to download a utliltiy tool.
I want to do this ; am concerned as apparently this tool scans your files and if any of the files are not the same in windows/are corrupt, you have to install a backup copy of Windows that they mail you!!

It takes about 4-6 weeks to get this disc!
The support # at Microsoft only allows you only 2 free calls before buying which ive used up.

I am hoping I can convert my system if I buy the Electronic License Key.
Please let me know if that means ill probalby have to uninstall my OS and/or if I'll have to do a "repair". I dont want to lose any of my programs!! I dont know anything about os conflicts and how to register/install or repair Windows!

Thanks for reading this :) and please help asap!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:15:52 PM, on 6/25/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Hi, Its been over 2 weeks now and I haven't received a reply yet. I know the above post has been read so does anyone know how I can get a reply? bb, Safira
Hi, When making any serious alterations to your system there is always the risk of files becoming corrupted so be sure that all important information/data/settings are copied /backed up and you locate the original CD's for your programmes. Sorry to hear that you have a non-legit copy of Windows XP on your machine. You could take the following steps: 1 Contact the firm/person who installed the non-legit copy of Windows XP on your machine and get them to make their peace with Microsoft, pay the correct license fee and legitimise your system. In most jurisdictions it is against the law to pirate software. 2 Phone Microsoft, explain the situation to them and they will be able to advise you on the next step. In the meantime you should take the machine out of service until the license position has been addressed, the fees paid and your system legitimised. I know that probably this is not the message you wanted to hear, but by doing this you will end up with a proper paid for system. Hope this helps Regards paws
Thanks, Paws, for replying to my post :) Its been hell trying to do updates manually as some arent able to be installed and im no longer in contact w/the person who put this copy of Windows on my machine, so you'll be happy to read I went ahead and decided to give $159+ to letigimize my operating system to the richest man in the world. I'll be eating less :( I decided to go w/the more expensive version as there would be a better chance of not having to install it. But, I have a feeling that after the disc arrives (it can take 6-8 weeks) ill end up having to install it and I have no idea how to do that..I hope I dont lose my stuff. The problem is that I don't have any original programs on discs except my antivirus. And recently, my floppy drive decided to stop working! It doesnt register when a floppy disc is in there. Crickie! (fingers crossed), Safira

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI