This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 10 Sign-in Not Showing All Users

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

On an ASUS T300CHI Transformer with Windows 10 Home v1909 I'm trying to remove the user account (administrator with Microsoft sign-in, I think - I'm not sure how to determine if it is using a Microsoft account sign-in). When the computer starts it simply logs straight into the user account; it does not show all users to allow selection of the login account.

 

When I started, Manage Accounts in Control Panel showed just the one account. I added an account in Win10 Settings:

Add someone else to this PC

Selected "I don't have this person's sign-in information."

Selected "Add a user without a Microsoft account."

Entered a username and left the password blank.

 

I then went into Control Panel and changed the new Local account to be an Administrator account.

 

This new user does NOT appear in WIn10 Settings | Accounts nor in File Explorer C:\Users (this shows just the current user and Public)

 

I tried the TenForums tutorial: How to Do Not Display Last Signed-in User Name on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 using the Option 2 (for the Home edition of Win10) Enable or Disable Displaying User Names on Sign in Screen using a REG file and applying the Display_users_on_Sign_in_screen.reg patch to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

 

However, this had no effect; after a shutdown and power on, the computer booted straight into the current user again without displaying the current user and the added user account to allow selecting the account to log into.

 

What I'm trying to achieve is to create a new user admin account and then delete the current admin account.

 

Can anyone suggest how to achieve this, please?

Thanks, Ztruker. I'll try that after our morning exercise spin around the lake and let you know how I go. Certainly looks promising.

Hi Ztruker,

 

Apologies for the delay; my wife needs the exercise as part of her rehabilitation from a broken foot and then I got caught up in chores around the property here.

 

Anyway, in going through that tutorial, I found this which fits my login:

"If you see an email address under your user name on the right side with Manage by Microsoft account and Stop signing in to all Microsoft apps automatically links under it, then you are signed in to Windows 10 with a local account, but will be automatically signed in to all Microsoft Store apps and websites with your Microsoft account."

 

However, after applying the "2020-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4549951)" update last night, I now see the newly created local administrator account in the Win10 Settings | Accounts | Family & other users. It is also now listed in C:\Users\ (along with the original account). I don't know if the update had anything to do with this change but at least the new user is there now.

 

But, when I power on the computer it boots straight through to the original user's desktop without displaying the users to select which one to sign-in as.

 

On the Settings | Accounts | Sign-in options only the Security Key and Password options are available. I assume that the password option is set and that the password is blank and this is why it does not stop for a sign-in button. However, on my own computer I have a blank sign-in password  and I always get the sign-in button screen.

 

On the T300CHI if I sign out of the original user, I go to a screen (I think this might be called the Lock screen) which shows both users in the bottom left and allows me to select either user to sign-in.

 

Do you know how I can get this option after power on?

 

Alternatively, do you think I can now safely remove the original user account and be left with a clean computer with just the new local administrator account?

 

Thanks for your help.

Hi again, Ztruker. Thanks for your continuing attention to my problem.

 

You wrote: "I can help if your current Admin id is a Microsoft id."

 

As I found when following your link to the TenForums tutorial, I am "signed in to Windows 10 with a local account, but will be automatically signed in to all Microsoft Store apps and websites with your Microsoft account."

 

So that part of the problem is sorted. Now I just need to remove the original user and continue using the new user. Any suggestions on things I should check before removing the old user account would be appreciated.

"I can help if your current Admin id is a Microsoft id." was a typo, should have said "It can help if your current Admin id is a Microsoft id."

meaning the tutorial.

 

Try entering control userpasswords2 from a Run box (Press Window key + R to get to that).

What I expect you will see, since a Microsoft account always has to have a password, is this:

 

📎1.jpg

 

This means the password has already been entered and the requirement to enter the password has been unchecked.

What you need to do is check the User must enter username and password box then click Apply.

 

Now select the 2nd (new account) and uncheck the User must enter username and password box then click Apply.

 

📎2.jpg

 

You can now enter a password for the new user if you want it to auto-logon or leave it blank and just click on OK, then you will have to enter a password each time you logon (if you setup the new user with a password to start with).

Hi Ztruker, Thanks for keeping on this. (The typo is easily done as I know only too well; I think I followed through on what you intended.)

 

When I ran the cmd you gave I got this:

📎Ctrl UPwrd - A.PNG

 

I’m not sure why the Group info for user Jim is just “Administrators” while that for NewOwner (the new user account I created) is the same as for both the users on your snip: “Administrators; Users”.

 

Whether I check or uncheck the “User must enter username and password” box, after shutting down and powering on, the computer boots straight through to the desktop for which ever user was last signed in before the shutdown.

 

If I sign-out of the current user I then get the sign-in screen offering choice of users to sign-in as in this snip:

📎T300 Signin screen.png

 

What I’m trying to achieve is to remove all reference to the original user account, Jim, and transfer the computer to a new owner with the clean user account, NewOwner.

 

Do you think I can just delete the Jim account?

 

Would this move the NewOwner account from the Settings | Accounts | Family & other users section to the Settings | Accounts | Your info section?

 

I’m nervous that if I just delete the user account, Jim, I’ll end up with a locked computer that I can’t get into.

 

You do not appear to have a Microsoft account, just two local accounts. A Microsoft account would be an Email address like I should in the screen shots I posted.

 

If you

ve saved all the data from the Jim account then you should be able to delete it.

 

Login as NewAccount. Make sure Jim is not logged in.

Open Control Panel, User Accounts.

Click on Manage another account.

Select Jim then click on Delete the account. Click Delete the files then OK.

 

That should do it. Will take a while so be patient.

That did it Rich; thanks so much for your help and patience.

 

Thanks especially for the warning "Will take a while so be patient." The final click on Delete account gave no indication on the screen that anything was happening; I resisted the temptation and just waited. Sure enough after a while I was back at the Control Panel list of accounts with just the new account showing. And Win10 Settings | Accounts showed the new account as the "owner".

 

My hope that a problem with powering on triggering a cycling of File Explorer errors trying to open directory F:\ when cold booting with the USB hub connected has persisted; obviously nothing to do with the account but somehow with the hardware. I'll post that as a new issue.

 

Thanks again.

Mike

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI