This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Deleting a user account

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I know have way too many users on my computer and I would like to get rid of all of them but two. However, when I go to the Control Panel, then User Accounts, before I can even select the task option of Change an Account, an error message (no number) pops up in a pop up window that says "the group name could not be found". When I ignore this and click on Pick An Account to Change, it does not list any accounts at all, even though there are 5 on this computer (more on that later). The reason I now have 5 accounts on this computer is that I thought one way around this problem would be to create a new account, with administrative powers, and proceed from there. However, when I did this, same problem happens within that new account - I get a pop up window that says "the group name could not be found". When I ignore this and click on Pick An Account to Change, as with my original admin account, it does not list any accounts at all.

My computer is running really slow and I"ve defragged, run virus scan, deleted temp files and am at my wits end. I thought getting rid of the user accounts I don't need anymore would help.

Thanks.

Moving to Windows forum. User awaiting clearance from Malware forum

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI