This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can I disable a Windows logon screen?

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When I set up our wireless internet - provided by Qwest, in case anyone has heard of them - I hooked up the wireless modem (which was an unexpected upgrade) and set it up on my wife's computer first. It came with a disc just like any other software package, and it went through all the setups and wizards, and installed all the necessary stuff (including some USB drivers and Microsoft .Net 1.1 or something like that), and everything was fine. My computer was another story for another time… Anyway, now when she turns her computer on, Windows asks her to logon to her user account before going to the desktop. It doesn't ask for her password - only to click on the user account. When I checked in the User Accounts section, there is a new account that wasn't there before I installed the internet software. The account is called "ASP.NET Machine A…", and shows as a limited account and is password protected. For giggles, we went to remove the pw, and it stated: "You are removing the password for ASP.NET Machine A… If you do this, it will lose all EFS-encrypted files, personal certificates, and stored passwords for websites or network resources." Unless she sets it up for logon/pw herself, she has never had to do this. I looked at how to maybe get around this, but I'm clueless as to how to go about it without messing something up. _________________
Bypass The Windows XP Log On Screen

To make logon an unattended process:

Click Start - Run - (type)control userpasswords2 -Click OK
The User Accounts Property Sheet displays.
On Users(tab) - clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box. Click - Apply
Enter a user name and password that should be used to logon automatically in the dialog box that appears.
Click OK
Go to - Control Panel - User Accounts - Change the Way Users Log On and Off
remove checkmark/tick from Use the Welcome Screen and Use Fast User Switching

Source: http://www.theeldergeek.com/unattended_logon.htm

Bypass The Windows XP Log On Screen

To make logon an unattended process:

Click Start - Run - (type)control userpasswords2 -Click OK
The User Accounts Property Sheet displays.
On Users(tab) - clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box. Click - Apply
Enter a user name and password that should be used to logon automatically in the dialog box that appears.
Click OK
Go to - Control Panel - User Accounts - Change the Way Users Log On and Off
remove checkmark/tick from Use the Welcome Screen and Use Fast User Switching

Source: http://www.theeldergeek.com/unattended_logon.htm


Hi Doug,

I found your post above, had wanted to change my login settings for some time (on my PC) to…. as you have described above. I followed your post, rebooted and cannot get past the Windows logon screen where I am asked for a password which I do not have SO I cannot get my PC to load. How do I get past this screen that requires a password please?

I also changed my login settings on my Laptop, but did not reboot, so have changed them back as they were.

Help please to access my PC

kind regards, :blush:
Hi tallin,
Whist you are waiting for Doug to come back, I always recommend folks use Tweak UI to alter the log in screens so they can go directly to desktop…here's a link:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm

If you look at the 6th line down in Dougs response this is the username/password that you'll need to enter if you used control userpasswords2
Regards
paws
Hi Tallin, and thank you Paws for your additional information. Tallin, The instructions that I provided are complete and should lead to your desired result. I'm sorry you are having difficulty with the situation. I suggest you review the steps as previously posted and walk through the procedure that you performed. If you get stuck on any step, please let us know. Doug

Hi Tallin, and thank you Paws for your additional information.

Tallin,
The instructions that I provided are complete and should lead to your desired result.
I'm sorry you are having difficulty with the situation.
I suggest you review the steps as previously posted and walk through the procedure that you performed.

If you get stuck on any step, please let us know.

Doug


Firstly Paws thank you for your help and reply. I have an early smile on my face as it is (3.48am Monday) I woke up and had the answer in my mind immediatley.

Doug, also thank you for your reply.

Fix was - when rebooting to type in the Windows splash screen ***** * ***** (my name as I had remembered it as the Administrator login) and leave the P/W area blank - With great relief the PC is now booted up and I am writing this reply on said PC. I got a fright that I did not need! A senior moment perhaps one could call it!

Many thanks to you both, now I can go back to bed for the rest of our night!

Best regards to you both. :thumbup:
Hi tallin Well done! Glad you are back in! It's a horrible feeling, I know but such a relief when its all back to normal! Sleep well now Regards paws

Bypass The Windows XP Log On Screen

To make logon an unattended process:

Click Start - Run - (type)control userpasswords2 -Click OK
The User Accounts Property Sheet displays.
On Users(tab) - clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box. Click - Apply
Enter a user name and password that should be used to logon automatically in the dialog box that appears.
Click OK
Go to - Control Panel - User Accounts - Change the Way Users Log On and Off
remove checkmark/tick from Use the Welcome Screen and Use Fast User Switching

Source: http://www.theeldergeek.com/unattended_logon.htm



Ok I tryed the same thing post above and it did not work for me, when windows booted back up it asked for a logon name and password, but when I click on the ok tab it boots into windows. So the question is what am I doing wrong.

here is what I get when running control userpasswords2
it shows 3 accounts


Administrator
aspnet
jt

Once I did what was written up it get this:

Logon Message
The system could not log you on, make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letter in passwords must be typed using the correct case.

And like /i said if you click ok button windows finish booting up.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI