This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Outlook won't open

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My Outlook program is very, very important to me and about 30 min ago it stopped working - now the program won't boot up.  I've restarted the laptop and it still doesn't work.  I went to youtube.com and saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk9x8DmxBMs, but it showed so many options that I'm afraid to try any of them without the techs on this site approving it every step of the way.  So I turn my email program over to you and hope you can help.

 

Particulars: new HP laptop Envy, new Microsoft 15 program.  

Do you have a good backup, preferably an image backup of the boot drive? If not you need to set it up as soon as this is fixed.
 

about 30 min ago it stopped working - now the program won't boot up

 
What does the above mean? When you try to start Outlook, what exactly happens? Do you get any error messages. If you do post them here exactly as they appear. If they are windowed messages post a screen capture of the window with the message in it.
 
What version of Office do you have?
 
How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums (says it's for Vista but also works with Win 7/10).
UPLOAD IMAGE - How to upload into your thread, Windows Made Easy

Also lots of help available via Google search: outlook troubleshooter

1. A good back-up?  No I don't.  I would appreciate help establishing a good back-up at the end of this.  

2. What does the above ("it won't boot up") mean?  When I click on the Outlook icon I see the buffering circle that lets me know that I've clicked on the program correctly and that it wants to boot, but the circle just discontinues circling and nothing happens.  There's no message, no nothing.  I can click to my heart's content and nothing happens.  

3. What version of Office?  Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016

the problem has been remedied.  It took some finagling, some visiting the Outlook files in the Explorer part of my computer and attempting to re-sync them with the program.  There were two large files of emails: one for my office internet provider (Metrocast) and a second for my home internet provider (Spectrum).  That is the beauty of Outlook - I can have emails from both internet providers come straight to this one program and see them on the same screen.  That saves lots of time.  Apparently [and I'm no expert at this, so I'm not for sure what I was doing] when I was trying to boot the Outlook icon, the program was looking for the metrocast file instead of the roadrunner file.  But after getting that sorted out, the darn icon opens now.  It took quite a long time this afternoon, but it works again.  

 

I appreciate all your help as i do everyone who helps on this site.  The way you give your time so passionately is a real help to us know-nothings out here. 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI