A couple months ago you helped me with removal of a Trojan virus. Things got better for a while. Then my computer was very slow and I removed some programs I had installed for security. I currently use AVG anti virus and anti spyware, and RegCure.
Now - my computer seems to get 'confused' as the day progresses. Ultimately, it will stop receiving or sending email using Outlook, and often when I try to turn it off, it won't turn off.
I have a laptom - Dell Inspiron B130 and use Windows XP, MS Office.
Please help. Thanks, Ginny
Then my computer was very slow and I removed some programs I had installed for security.
There are lots of reasons computers get bogged down, and certainly, there are some very resource hogging security programs. But it would not be wise to remove security programs, unless you had a replacement ready for an immediate install.
Both of those AVG programs are good, but alone, are not enough. Have you done a complete malware scan? That is usually the first thing I do when troubleshooting a PC so I know I have a clean platform to work from. Here's a link to my canned text on Cleaning Out Malware. Use it if you don't already have a complete security suite and disk cleaning utilities to rid your system of malware and clutter. You can also use it as a guide to build your own security suite, and to help you develop a "Practicing Safe Computing" self-discipline.
How much free disk space do you have? If running low, that will bog your system down, especially if you do not have adequate RAM (preferably at least 1Gb).
I've downloaded the programs you suggested. My concern is that all these programs slow things down, which is why I deleted some. Prior to the Trojan infection, I used the Cox Security Suite, but found it wasn't catching viruses, obviously. Do you have an opinion about the Cox Suite.
47.80 GB free space, .99 GB RAM
Would it help for you to see a HJT log?
Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Ginny
If you read through my canned text, you will see my opinion of suites. And Cox is my ISP too, but I don't use their suite.
The programs only slow your system down when they are running. You can have a many programs installed, they do nothing unless running - assuming you have lots of disk space, and you do.
You can post a log if you want (see the WhattheTech HijackThis Log Procedures for complete instructions for running HijackThis and posting your log) but you really should, IMO, run through a complete malware scan first.
Thanks for your help. Sorry I didn't read all you had to say about suites. I'm trying to fit this into my sched. but it's becoming all consuming.
I've downloaded and scanned with just about everything you've suggested, and my problem still exits. Any suggestions, or should I go to the HJT forum? Should I format and start over. This is becomeing very cumbersome in terms of being able to use my computer. I was hoping my time and computer space would pay off, but so far not.
Again, thanks for your help. Wish I knew more. G
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI