Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Headphone issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:06 PM

I have a Windows 10 HP Laptop, 5 months old.  I try to listen to a recording on youtube and can't hear anything.  I check out SOUND in the control panel and everything checks out (apparently) OK.  I plug in my ear buds (headphones) and now I hear the sound.  What's happening is the opposite of how it worked yesterday.  I don't want others around me to hear the sound when I plug in the ear buds.  Not sure what I did, but I must have down something between yesterday and today to cause this.  Can't seem to fix it.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:06 PM

Do I have this correct?

• When you play videos without anything plugged into the headphone jack - you hear nothing.
  • When you play videos with headphones plugged in - you hear sound through your laptop speaker... not the ear buds.

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#3 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:19 PM

Yes.  When no headphones are plugged into the laptop, I hear no audio.  When the headphones (ear buds) are plugged into the laptop I hear sound through the computer, not through the headphones - there is no sound at all through the headphones.  Yet, I can take these same head phones and use them on my other laptop and hear through the headphones just fine on that computer.

#4 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:54 PM

My guess is there is something in your headphone jack.

Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#5 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:57 AM

Well - believe it or not ... today (Saturday) I turned on the laptop and could hear audio through the computer.  Then I inserted my head phone jack and could hear the computer through the ear buds.  I have no idea how this happened or what I might have done to correct this issue.  Sometimes electronics are very strange.  Anyway, I'm going to go right on believing that this was a blimp on the radar.  I thank you for your responses and attempts at assisting me.  Always appreciate the What The Tech folks who give of their time so freely.  

• Mitchie23 likes this

#6 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:06 PM

Well... seeing as how tommorrow is St. Patricks Day... I'm going to choose to believe that you had a leprechaun that hid out in your system for a few days.  With the advent of St. Pat's day - he moved on. :whistling: 

Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#7 BartonTed

BartonTed

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:39 AM

Well... seeing as how tommorrow is St. Patricks Day... I'm going to choose to believe that you had a leprechaun that hid out in your system for a few days.  With the advent of St. Pat's day - he moved on. :whistling:

I would say it's something in your headphones but not really sure. This is a common issue I see on other forums too. Some people just buy another set of headphones or headset and fix the problem. However, it's good to know if you should go for headphone or headset. As I see you are using it for listening to music and watching videos on YouTube, so I would suggest you to go for headphones. You can refer to this guide to get a more comprehensive understanding about the distinction between headsets and headphones.

Edited by BartonTed, 09 July 2019 - 06:40 AM.

"Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. Samuel Beckett"