This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

No Sound/Audio when plugging in headphones on new laptop with Win10

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all,

 

I've bought a new laptop with Windows 10 (first time on this OS; last one was running Win 8), and am having an audio issue. Speakers work perfectly fine, but as soon as I plug my headphones in, audio doesn't come through them. If I check the Playback Devices, the green bars on the speakers are going up and down, so audio is there, but it's not coming through the headphones.

 

I've tried messing around with all sorts of things. Updating drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling audio drivers - just about every option I can find in the audio panels - but nothing.

 

The only solution I have is if I restart my laptop with the headphones plugged in. Upon reboot, the audio will work through them. But as soon as I unplug and replug, the sound is gone again. I've also tried with a different pair of headphones and had the same results.

 

Never had an issue like this before, and I'm at a loss as to where to look next, with nothing on Google helping me.

 

Thanks for any help.

Hi Azzy221,

It looks like your post has received no replies, so I guess none of our members have come across this situation before, or if they have are keeping silent!

 

If you haven't found a solution yet to the problem then I would be inclined to send the computer back to the vendor and get them to fix it under their warranty/guarantee or statutory consumer protection legislation that may exist in your jurisdiction.

 

Regards

paws

Hi paws,

 

Well, I should have done it sooner, but I dropped the manufacturer an email last week, and they replied today with a fix – which works!

 

Looks like I was missing a piece of software that controls the audio switching in my laptop, called Control Center. After installing and restarting the laptop, headphone sound is now working perfectly. Phew!

 

Thanks for the reply.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI