This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

headphone jack not working

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there, about two weeks ago my headphone jacks stropped working. I have an HP Pavillion laptop running vista. When I plug the phones in, my computer will still play music through the computer speakers. I tried to do a test of the headphones from the control panel and this works, but nothing esle I play from itunes, or browser will play through headphones. I cannot find out what time of audio device it is either, it just says HD audio device. Can anyone help??
HD Audio = "High Definition" Audio Since your computer speakers correctly play sounds, your onboard audio device is apparently functioning. Head-set speakers and the head-set connection jack are subject to "wear & tear". Have you tried a second head-set in the same laptop? Have you tried the head-set in a second computer to see if the head-set works? Any appearance of physical damage?
Yes, I tried the headphones in two different computers and they work fine. The only way they will work is if I go to the sound device and make the headphones the default. but I have to close my itunes or whatever player I am using, make headphones the default and then open itunes again. then it will work, however, as soon as I take the headphones out with something still playing, the sound will not come back through the main speakers, itunes then stops working and you have to close it. I tried reinstalling the audio drivers.. and they failed to install :( it's not looking good and I don't know how to fix it!?! I'm using my computer in a week for a presentation and I need the audio jack to work -eek! any more suggestions??

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI