This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Laptop suddenly requires a restart when I need to use the VGA-port!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Lenovo Thinkpad W530

Windows 10
 

 

Daily I'm using my projector to watch videos via my laptops VGA-port. Usually, all I need to do is plug the VGA-cable and close the lid of the laptop for it to switch to the projector display.

However, since a few weeks ago I have to restart my computer for it to work. It is like my VGA-port goes to sleep when I turn my laptop to sleep, but the VGA-port doesn't "wake up" when I wake up my laptop.

It is like the VGA-port suddenly doesn't sense that a cable has been inserted, until after a restart.

 

I updated to the latest NVIDIA video drivers today, but that made no difference.

 

How can we fix this?

 

 

Lenovo have been experiencing troubles with their power driver update and this can cause the symptoms you describe

It might be worthwhile rolling back the old driver and see if that does the trick for you.

More details from here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Latest-Power-Management-Driver-Conflicts-with-Lenovo-OSD/td-p/4187198

Regards

paws

 

Thanks. But the option to roll back is grayed out.

How would you suggest I proceed?

Have you read the instructions in the owners manual labelled "Connecting a projector or external display"…?

(On the workshop copy it is around page 54)

Regards

paws

Have you read the instructions in the owners manual labelled "Connecting a projector or external display"…?

(On the workshop copy it is around page 54)

Regards

paws

 

I read it just now, but did't find any obvious solution.

However, I will tamper a bit with some settings that was mentioned though, and get back with the results. Thanks! :-)

Lenovo Thinkpad W530

Windows 10
 

 

Daily I'm using my projector to watch videos via my laptops VGA-port. Usually, all I need to do is plug the VGA-cable and close the lid of the laptop for it to switch to the projector display.

However, since a few weeks ago I have to restart my computer for it to work. It is like my VGA-port goes to sleep when I turn my laptop to sleep, but the VGA-port doesn't "wake up" when I wake up my laptop.

It is like the VGA-port suddenly doesn't sense that a cable has been inserted, until after a restart.

 

I updated to the latest NVIDIA video drivers today, but that made no difference.

 

How can we fix this?

 

 

it sounds to me like maybe you have a shorted cable or something. Replace the VGA cable maybe.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI