When I start up my Dell Inspiron 5100 w/xp3 the display shuts down in less than 5 minutes. A secondary monitor plugged into the VGA port displays ok.
Restarting the computer again and the same failure on the laptop screen happens.
Is this a failure of the graphic adapter, the display screen, or something else?
Thanks
I would say it is your screen itself and\or the back light.
Since it does work with a external monitor would suggest a signal issue.
Is the laptop under warranty or do you have a shop close by that you use that could check the connections and the screen itself?
Thanks, I thought it might be the screen also. Any time I reboot the laptop the screen has strange colors, returns to normal but about 20% darker, then shuts off. The colors on the secondary monitor are normal.
Connections are good.
Since the colors and brightness are not affected on the external monitor that shows it's not the graphics card having the issue. It is the screen having the issue. Common problem as laptops get older. It is possible to replace the screen but do so checking around with not only Dell but your local shop. Also check online for laptop screens as there are several there that you may be able to purchase a new screen from.
It is resolved because on your advice I ordered a replacement screen and that should take care of the problem. If that solution does not work I will let you know.
Thank you and we will watch for your ending results.
Thank you for allowing us here at WTT to assist you with your issue and for your patience and cooperation.
Please enjoy the rest of the site and the vast amount of knowledge available here at What The Tech
Congratulations. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing WTT for help. :thumbsup:
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI