Hi. Bear with me, I have very limited technical knowledge. I'm going to do my best to provide all the correct information.
Our internet connection is via Cincinnati bell fioptics.
We have problems with it quite a bit, but it's never been this bad. I don't know what caused it. No one has been able to connect to the Internet for about a day or so, but that's normal. We usually wait a day and it resolves itself.
The problem now is, the Internet light on the modem is just off. It's not blinking or anything, just off. The Ethernet, power button, and DSL lights are all green.
I have tried power cycling, I've reset the modem, I even tried to connect to the Internet via Ethernet cable (I don't know, lady from cin bell customer service suggested it. Again, limited technical knowledge, forgive me if that was the wrong thing to do.) that didn't work.
I cannot even find my network. Neighbor's networks show up, but mine does not. I tried to set it up again, but my laptop says the network already exists. It prompts me to connect by clicking a link– I click the link and nothing happens.
I've been at this for a while and am so frustrated. I really need help.
if it helps, make and model of my laptop is
TOU81UA#ABA
15-ac141ds
I don't have any idea what the numbers on the back of the modem mean but I'll include them just in case:
S/N: WG42DAM01393
MAC: 5422F8CDAA00
So sorry if I did not explain myself well, I don't have any idea what I'm doing.
If you are not getting an internet light lit on your gateway device then it often means that there is a breakdown in synchronisation twixt your gateway and your Internet Service Provider. ( ISP)
Common reasons for this may be an incorrectly configured gateway device, or a problem that only your ISP can help with.
Here's a suggested plan of attack
1 Go to your ISPs website log in and you should be able to find help on your specific set up.
2 Here's a link to the general page from Your ISP that shows to connect Wi fi…….
3 HOWEVER if you cannot connect via Ethernet then its indicating that wi fi is not at the root of the problem.
4 If you are sure that your gateway device has been correctly configured, (a user name and password is sometimes required to connect your gateway to your ISP) then it would best to contact your ISP and get them to connect it up for you.
5 The fact that your computer can "see" other networks in your neighbourhood indicates that the fault probably lies with the gateway configuration, the gateway device itself, or its cabling, or of course your ISP.
6 You can easily test that by using your computer to connect to another network to check that its working Ok…. if it connects OK then its confirming that you need to focus on the gateway and its connections to the net.
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI