Hardware
Modem(s) Not Working In Laptop
4 min read
dystopiate
Topic Starter
I have an HP Pavilion Notebook (laptop) that was given to me by a former friend, with whom I'm not longer in contact. It runs on Windows XP. It will not connect to the internet.
I have four modems. One is a dial-up, which worked when Jeff had it, but I've never used and don't intend to use.
There is an internal Wi-Fi modem from RealTek, which has never worked. It says I'm connected and the strength is good, but browsers will not display webpages. Therefore, I've disabled this modem, since it's the default one in the OS.
I also have a Sony Ericsson PC Card Modem, which used to work just fine as long as the internal one was disabled.
However, the PC's performance was slow, and it was full of bugs and viruses. When it was Jeff's computer, he downloaded all kinds of porn and music and viruses I'm sure. I decided to use a Windows Recovery disk to re-install Windows and purge the computer of everything Jeff had on it.
Now, no modems work. All of them will show up under the Network Connections as working fine but not connected. For the Sony Ericsson one, I had to download the drivers and this package thing from SonyEricsson.com's webpage in order to get the computer to recognize the drivers and utilize them.
But even with the internal modem disabled, the Sony one won't work. Previously, I would click "refresh available neworks list" or whatever, and it would give me a list of routers whose signals it picked up. Now it gives me a Windows error.
I bought a new "modem" ( TRENDnet wireless F USB Adapter) yesterday, which obviously came with a CD for all the required software, and now it also claims to be working but disconnected and unable to connect.
WTF? It all went to heck when I re-installed Windows, so apparently, I shouldn't have done that, because something in the Windows that Jeff had on there was necessary. But the computer was virtually worthless with how slow it was running. I know it had viruses, because I am good like that. It had high-tech viruses. And I know Jeff and that he downloads stuff in emails from people named [removed] that say "Click here to download footage! I just got a new Webcam and want to show off!"
Can I download the Windows component I'm now apparently missing? Or is there another reason the modems are making me want to blow my brains out?
John B..
Hi and welcome to WhatTheTech,
There are a couple of things I want to comment on.
Are you sure this is not a problem with your router? It is really strange that about four modems are all not able to connect. They may very well be conflicting. Does connecting wired work?
Also, have you tried connecting to somebody else's network? One of a friend or family? That way we can be very sure it is a problem with the client and not the router.
Last but not least, please check out Device Manger. In Device Manager we can find out if anything is wrong with your hardware.
Please let us know.
Regards,
John.
There are a couple of things I want to comment on.
What actual packet thing?I had to download the drivers and this package thing from SonyEricsson.com's webpage in order to get the computer to recognize the drivers and utilize them.
Could you please tell us what error exactly? Remember that the more detailed your story is, the easier we can help you with finding a solution.Now it gives me a Windows error.
Please check out our anti-malware section. We can help 99% of the people with removing ALL the malware on their system by just having them follow our instructions. Maybe that is better to do next time your computer is infectedBut the computer was virtually worthless with how slow it was running. I know it had viruses, because I am good like that.
Hmm, why don't I get those e-mail…And I know Jeff and that he downloads stuff in emails from people named [removed] that say "Click here to download footage! I just got a new Webcam and want to show off!"
Are you sure this is not a problem with your router? It is really strange that about four modems are all not able to connect. They may very well be conflicting. Does connecting wired work?
Also, have you tried connecting to somebody else's network? One of a friend or family? That way we can be very sure it is a problem with the client and not the router.
Last but not least, please check out Device Manger. In Device Manager we can find out if anything is wrong with your hardware.
- Right-click on My Computer
- Click Manage
- Now click on Device Manager
- Expand all the sections and check them for any exclamation marks (especially at networking tabs of course). Make a note of it
- We need to know the section where the device was found and the name of the device
Please let us know.
Regards,
John.
tallin
[external image: Posted Image] to the forum,
The most important item on your agenda in my opinion is to post a HJT log in the correct forum by following this link.
If, after being cleared of Malware you still need help in this forum, feel free to post back and we will be only to happy to help you.
kind regards,
The most important item on your agenda in my opinion is to post a HJT log in the correct forum by following this link.
If, after being cleared of Malware you still need help in this forum, feel free to post back and we will be only to happy to help you.
kind regards,
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI